Agent active, as Chelsea star rejects 12-month contract extension

Date published: Monday 23rd March 2020 2:52

Giroud Ake TEAMtalk

Olivier Giroud has rejected a one-year contract extension at Chelsea, according to a report in Italy.

The Stamford Bridge outfit are desperate not to lose the 33-year-old for free when his contract expires in June.

Calciomercato report that Chelsea laid out the 12-month extension proposal to Giroud, just as they did last May, but the France forward has refused to pen a deal amid interest from Inter Milan.

Giroud is looking for “at least one biennial project” and Inter remain keen onlookers with the source claiming the Serie A club and Giroud’s agents are “alive”.

Giroud has endured a frustrating season behind Tammy Abraham in the pecking order, with the England international in sensational form before he picked up an injury.

As such, the Frenchman was heavily linked with a move away from Stamford Bridge with Inter Milan – coached by former Blues boss Antonio Conte – said to be keen admirers.

 

 

 

Indeed, Frank Lampard admitted that Giroud’s agent had spoken to Chelsea – with Tottenham also said to be interested – but a departure from West London never materialised in the winter transfer window.

Speaking to Telefoot (via Get French Football News), Giroud last month revealed all on the frustrating six months leading up to the end of January.

“I saw myself elsewhere after experiencing a complicated six months,” the striker said.

“I did everything I could to leave Chelsea, but they did not want to let me go unless they could get a replacement. Inter Milan was my priority with contacts as well with Lazio and Tottenham.

“But the circumstances brought Chelsea to block me. This was not my choice. Aside from that, either you sulk or you come back fighting to win your place.”

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM