Glenn Hoddle gives thanks after surviving cardiac arrest

Date published: Sunday 24th February 2019 2:32

Glenn Hoddle TEAMtalk

Former Tottenham and England manager Glenn Hoddle realises he is a “lucky man” after surviving a cardiac arrest.

The former England manager collapsed on the set at BT Sport, for whom he is a regular pundit, in October shortly after filming to preview the match between Brighton and Wolves on Robbie Savage’s show.

Fortunately a sound supervisor for the broadcaster was on hand to administer CPR. Simon Daniels rushed to the rescue and managed to stabilise Hoddle, who was then taken to St Bartholomew’s Hospital after receiving attention.

The 61-year-old had a quadruple heart bypass before returning home to recuperate and is now on the way to making a full recovery.

Hoddle, who confirmed he will return to punditry duties with BT Sport for the north London derby on March 2, admits he recalls very little of what happened that day but feels grateful to have been around so many people when it happened as they saved his life.

“I just thank god I was in the studio at that time with Simon (Daniels) there and a defibrillator there. I could have been on my own and I wouldn’t be sitting here today,” said Hoddle, speaking about events for the first time in an interview with Savage.

“I can’t remember much, I can’t remember the air ambulance – although what a job they do. Thankfully the doctors kept me going until they found out I needed a quadruple bypass.

Glenn Hoddle: Interested in England job

“When you are in hospital and on medication I wasn’t taking everything in but I knew I was a lucky man. Not just lucky with the synchronisation of the timing, there was something going on for quite some time.

“It could have happened any time and that hit me big time afterwards. I could have been with my grandchildren, could have been wherever. The hospital staff at St Bart’s, they were quite incredible.”

On his recovery, Hoddle said: “I’m doing alright, it’s been three and a bit months. It’s been tough but it has gone really well.

“I walk a mile, maybe two miles every day now. I used to hate walking unless I was chasing that little white ball in golf. Now I have to keep the heart and lungs going and I enjoy it and my family have been great.

“Over the years I said you become a better player when you pack it in and even better when you pass away, I was close to that. Only a few months after my family told me about it I can only thank people for their good wishes and their prayers. That’s been a great part of the healing for me.”


Related Articles