GUNNERS TO MAKE REUS MOVE
Arsenal are set to hijack Liverpool’s move for Marco Reus, who looks increasingly likely to leave Borussia Dortmund this summer.
Reus has been linked with a move to Anfield this season with reports in Italy suggesting Liverpool had made an enquiry for the playmaker.
But the Daily Express are reporting that Arsenal, in a story originally published by Tuttomercatoweb, are now ready to move for the midfielder.
Gunners boss Arsene Wenger is in the market for his marquee signing this summer after landing Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez in previous seasons.
And Arsenal director Lord Harris claims the club are in a position to bring in almost any big name they choose with their £200million transfer kitty, despite Arsene Wenger’s denials.
Reus has four years left on his Dortmund contract and would command a fee of around £50million.
DE BRUYNE AGENT SET FOR CITY TALKS
Kevin De Bruyne’s agent has flown to England to try and thrash out a deal with Man City for the player.
The Daily Mirror claims that Patrick De Koster has travelled to the UK for follow up talks with Blues director of football Txiki Begiristain.
City have yet to make an official bid for the former Chelsea star, but with Wolfsburg and De Bruyne in London for the Emirates Cup this weekend, City see it as an ideal chance to press home their interest in the midfielder.
And with their chase of Juventus star Paul Pogba at a stalemate, the Blues want to press on with a deal for De Bruyne, who could cost as much as £60million.
SAINTS JOIN CHESTER CHASE
Southampton boss Ronald Koeman has joined the £10million chase for James Chester – and is ready to battle Everton, Aston Villa, Newcastle, West Brom and Crystal Palace for the Hull defender.
The Daily Mirror claims Saints are in the market for two new centre-backs this summer after missing out to Tottenham Toby Alderweireld and losing Florin Gardos for seven months with a knee injury.
Belgian international Alderweireld, 26, opted for an £11.2million switch to Spurs from Atletico Madrid ahead of joining the south coast outfit on a permanent deal following a successful season on loan at St Mary’s.
Romania ace Gardos, 26, won’t play again until February after being crocked in Thursday’s 3-0 pre-season friendly win over Feyenoord.
That leaves Koeman with Jose Fonte and Maya Yoshida as his only fit and experienced central defenders going into the new campaign.
Chester has forced his way on to Koeman’s wish list after delivering a string of impressive performances for the Tigers last term, which earned him a Wales call-up.
Hull chief Steve Bruce is resigned to losing a string of his top stars following the Yorkshire side’s relegation to the Championship – and Chester is already a prime target for a host of top-flight predators.
The Warrington-born defender, who can also operate at right-back, was a £300,000 snip from Manchester United four years ago.
But his valuation has soared after two impressive seasons in the top flight with a string of clubs keen to sign him this summer.
Chester, who has a year left on contract at the KC Stadium, is eager to continue plying his trade in the Premier League.
And Hull are reportedly happy to cash in if their asking price is met.
AND THE REST
– PSG expect to leave North America next weekend with £45.9million Angel Di Maria as their player (various)
– QPR boss Chris Ramsey admits it is “unlikely” that top-scorer Charlie Austin will stay at Loftus Road (Daily Mirror)
– Edin Dzeko is heading for the Manchester City exit after manager Manuel Pellegrini revealed why he’s not playing the striker (Daily Mirror)
– West Brom have made a £6million bid for Sevilla midfielder Vicente Iborra (Daily Mirror)
– Stoke are struggling to get Dynamo Kiev winger Andriy Yarmolenko to join the club (Daily Mirror)
– Aston Villa are on the verge of a treble swoop for Esteban Cambiasso, Rudy Gestede and Jordan Ayew (The Sun)
– West Brom are set to move for Krasnodar midfielder Charles Kabore (The Sun)
– Wigan will make a £1.5million swoop for Chesterfield winger Sam Clucas (The Sun)
– Zlatan Ibrahimovic has opened the door to a surprise Manchester United switch after admitting he would be happy to work under Louis van Gaal (Daily Mail)
– Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is refusing to give up on his long-term dream of landing Karim Benzema this summer. The Gunners have had an initial enquiry rebuffed (Daily Mail)
– Lyon manager Hubert Fournier has warned suitors that he expects his sought-after France international forward Alexandre Lacazette to remain at the club (Daily Mail)
– Marc Bartra has rubbished suggestions he wants to leave Barcelona and has reiterated his desire to stay at the Nou Camp.
– Newly-promoted Norwich are eyeing ex-Bolton and Sunderland full-back Marcos Alonso.
– Arsenal are hopeful that Theo Walcott could sign a new contract before the start of the season The Independent)
– Newcastle lead the race to land £12million-rated Bordeaux striker Diego Rolan.
– Mohamed Salah is on the verge of a move to Roma after the Italian club reached agreement with Chelsea to take the Egypt winger on loan, at a cost of about £2million, with a view to a £14million move next summer (The Times)