UNITED TURN TO CAVANI
After confirming the signings of midfield duo Morgan Schneiderlin and Bastian Schweinsteiger on Monday, Manchester United will now turn their attention to strengthening Louis van Gaal’s attack.
The Daily Telegraph and Daily Mail both claim that Van Gaal has Bayern Munich striker Robert Lewandowski at the top of his wanted list but is aware of how difficult it would be to sign another player from the German club, while the Daily Express says United have already tried – and failed – to sign Thomas Muller, Karim Benzema and Harry Kane.
It appears likely, therefore, that United will move for Paris Saint-Germain striker Edinson Cavani, with the Guardian, Daily Express and Sun all claiming he is their No.1 target.
PSG want Angel Di Maria in exchange and, although the Express says United are reluctant to trade their record signing, the Guardian says Van Gaal is considering allowing the Argentine to move as part of the deal.
The Times suggest United could yet challenge Liverpool for Christian Benteke, with the Sun claiming Van Gaal wants the Aston Villa striker as well as Cavani.
The Daily Express, meanwhile, claims Nicolas Otamendi is the Red Devils’ top defensive target, but the Guardian and Telegraph say the Premier League club have not yet given up on Sergio Ramos.
SPURS SET SIGHTS ON BATSHUAYI
Tottenham want £9million Marseille striker Michy Batshuayi to play alongside Harry Kane next season, according to the Daily Mirror.
The tabloid says Spurs have been priced out of a move for Aston Villa striker Christian Benteke but have a long-standing interest in Batshuayi, who took only three minutes to score on his Belgium debut against Cyprus in March.
Mauricio Pochettino remains keen on Chelsea winger Victor Moses, the paper adds, although Stoke boss Mark Hughes claims he is in the plans of Jose Mourinho.
OZIL WANTS ARSENAL TALKS
Mesut Ozil wants crunch talks with Arsene Wenger over his Arsenal future, claims The Sun.
The Gunners’ record £42.5million signing is thought to be unhappy at playing out of position to Arsene Wenger can accommodate Santi Cazorla and Alexis Sanchez.
Juventus are sniffing around and have not been discouraged by Wenger’s insistence that Ozil is not for sale or by the German star’s own representatives.
AND THE REST
– Paris Saint-Germain have made a surprise £6million bid for Tottenham midfielder Benjamin Stambouli, who has been talking to Watford (Daily Mail)
– Tottenham will demand £15million for Andros Townsend, who is a target for Newcastle, Sunderland and Aston Villa (The Sun)
– Manchester City will intensify their efforts to secure Wolfsburg midfielder Kevin De Bruyne this week after the completion of the £49million signing of Raheem Sterling (Daily Telegraph/Daily Mail/Daily Express/The Sun)
– Aleksander Kolarov has decided not to join the Balkan bail out from Manchester City (The Sun)
– Liverpool striker Fabio Borini is the subject of renewed interest from Lazio. Mario Balotelli is a target for Fiorentina, but they need to offload Mario Gomez first (Daily Mail)
– West Ham may offer players plus cash for QPR’s £15million-rated striker Charlie Austin. Matt Jarvis, who QPR tried to sign in January, or Kevin Nolan are possible makeweights. West Ham have also discussed Roma’s Matteo Destro and Manchester United’s Javier Hernandez (Daily Mail)
– Fiorentina have rejected a proposal from Chelsea to take Oriol Romeu on loan (Daily Mail)
– Southampton hope to sign Feyenoord midfielder Jordy Clasie today for around £9.5million (Daily Mail)
– Santos are set to sign Arsenal striker Yaya Sanogo on loan (Daily Mail)
– Aston Villa want Barnsley right-back Mason Holgate, 18, and are in talks with Nice over left-back Jordan Amavi (Daily Mail)
– Swansea and Aston Villa both want Barnsley’s £1million-rated defender Mason Holgate (The Sun)
– Crystal Palace are attempting to sign QPR goalkeeper Alex McCarthy, who has a relegation-based release clause in his contract of around £3.5million (The Times)
– Newcastle’s bid to sign Anderlecht striker Aleksander Mitrovic is in the balance as the player considers his options (Daily Mirror)
– Sunderland are set to sign Belgian defender Nicolas Lombaerts this week for £5million from Zenit Saint Petersburg (Daily Express)
– QPR are set to earn what will, in effect, be their record incoming transfer fee in the wake of Liverpool’s sale of Raheem Sterling courtesy of a clause inserted into the deal which took him to Anfield five years ago. They will bank a minimum of £7.8million (The Guardian)
– Santos may sign QPR midfielder Sandro on loan (Daily Mail/The Sun/Daily Star)
– Norwich have enquired about Chelsea striker Patrick Bamford (Daily Mail)
– Granada are considering a move for Michu once the striker terminates his contract with Swansea City (The Times)
– Swansea striker Michu is asking for a free transfer to allow him to return to a Spanish club (Daily Express)
– Rayo Vallecano are ready to re-sign Michu from Swansea for just £2.2million (Daily Express)