Granovskaia plots Chelsea swap deal with Timo Werner used as sweetener

Date published: Thursday 29th July 2021 10:14 - Rob McCarthy

Timo Werner TEAMtalk

Chelsea remain on the hunt for a world-class striker this summer, with the latest reports suggesting that Marina Granovskaia has a plan in place that involves Timo Werner heading to Italy as part of a swap deal.

Thomas Tuchel is looking to mount a serious Premier League title challenge this season, having lifted the Champions League trophy during his first campaign in charge. However, to do that the German is fully aware that he needs a prolific No.9 to bolster the Blues attacking threat.

Erling Haaland remains the club’s top target, but the Norwegian’s price tag continues to soar. Indeed, Borussia Dortmund want well over £100million for the goalscoring machine.

With that in mind, former Stamford Bridge forward Romelu Lukaku remains a more attainable option.

The Inter Milan star scored 30 goals in 44 games in all competitions for the Serie A champions last term.

The 28-year-old quit Stamford Bridge for Everton in 2014 before eventually heading to Manchester United for £76m in 2017.

But after struggling for consistency at Old Trafford, the Belgian moved to Inter for £76m in 2019. And it’s fair to say that he has not looked back since heading to the San Siro.

Rumours of a return to west London have resurfaced, however, with Chelsea director Marina Granovskaia having a plan in place to strike a deal.

According to Italian football journalist Alfredo Pedulla, via Sempre Inter, the Blues will offer Werner as part of a swap deal.

Sky Germany recently reported that the Blues were open to the idea of moving on from Werner, with a potential switch to Bayern Munich mooted. They have seemingly come to that decision despite the German only having one season of Premier League football.


Give our social media channels a follow – we’re on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram


Inter, Lukaku firm on striker’s future

However, it would appear that Inter are so far refusing to play ball. Indeed, they are very clear over where Lukaku’s future lies.

The Italian club’s chief executive, Beppe Marotta, told Mediaset: “Romelu Lukaku is untouchable for us this summer, absolutely. He’s a key player for Inter.”

Lukaku himself also ruled out a Milan exit when speaking to Belgium broadcaster VTM in June. He said: “Yes, I’m staying at Inter. Maybe I shouldn’t say it yet but I’ve already talked with the man who is likely to become the new coach. it was a very positive conversation.”

Despite Lukaku and Inter’s stance, it appears that Chelsea will still try their luck over a potential exchange deal.

However, they look set for disappointment and face the likelihood of having to switch targets to sign Tuchel’s new No.9.

READ MORE: Bayern president responds to audacious Chelsea pursuit of serial goal-getter

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM