Gudmundsson heavily involved as Burnley claim draw with Brighton

Date published: Saturday 6th February 2021 5:20 - Samuel Bannister

Burnley had to settle for a 1-1 draw with Brighton despite having twice as many shots as their opponents.

After Lewis Dunk had given Brighton the lead in the first half, Johann Berg Gudmundsson equalised for Burnley in the second half.

However, despite having 20 shots in total, Burnley were not able to add to the scoreline, meaning both sides took a point each.

Joel Veltman, Alexis Mac Allister and Aaron Connolly were all restored to Brighton’s starting line-up on a cold and wet afternoon at Turf Moor.

Veltman and Mac Allister passed late fitness tests to feature, while Connolly replaced Leandro Trossard up front as the Seagulls made three changes from the side that claimed a surprise win at Liverpool on Wednesday.

Ashley Barnes came in for Jay Rodriguez in the only change to Burnley’s line-up after missing the midweek defeat to Manchester City due to injury. Chris Wood, Josh Brownhill, Robbie Brady and Charlie Taylor remain sidelined.

Seven of the previous 10 matches between Burnley and Brighton have ended in stalemates, so it was perhaps no surprise there was little separating them early on, with the pouring rain adding an extra layer of difficulty.

A rush of blood from Ben Mee led to him upending Neal Maupay on the edge of the area, with the Burnley captain booked, but Pascal Gross was unable to make him pay by sending his free-kick wide.

Brighton take lead

Burnley had a sustained spell of pressure but fell behind after 36 minutes following Dunk’s towering header from Gross’ corner, with Gudmundsson slipping as he tried to clear at the back post.

Burnley responded well to going behind but Jack Cork should have done better as he curled over when given the opportunity to select his spot from the edge of the area.

Connolly drew a low save out of Pope while a bullet effort from McNeil on the left stung Robert Sanchez’s palms as Brighton went to half-time with a 1-0 lead.

The driving rain stopped during the interval, when Gudmundsson atoned for his earlier mistake by clearing off the line from the same position after Dunk had once again headed towards goal from a corner.

Gudmundsson then went one step further as he bagged the equalising goal in the 53rd minute, drilling low past Sanchez after the Spaniard had parried McNeil’s powerful effort.

However, there were no more goals for either side, so it remained 1-1.

Related Articles