Hasenhuttl says Saints have no concerns about losing skipper to Tottenham

Date published: Friday 7th February 2020 2:30 - Matthew Briggs

Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg TEAMtalk

Southampton boss Ralph Hasenhuttl says the club have no real concerns about Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg leaving.

The midfielder’s current deal is due to expire in the summer of 2021, but Hasenhuttl thinks Saints have no worries about losing the player.

“It’s a good thing that our players are more interesting for other clubs.

“We don’t have to be scared that we lose them, they really know what they have here and what they get from us,” said Hasenhuttel in quotes cited by Goal.

The 24-year-old central midfielder was interesting Tottenham last month, while Sky Sports says Spurs have made the Southampton captain one of their top targets for the summer.

Arsenal and Everton are also understood to be keen on the former Bayern Munich midfielder, who has yet to agree a new deal on the south coast.

Hassenhuttl, speaking about a new contract for his captain, said at his news conference: “No news on this because there’s no speaking of any contracts before we have 36 points.

“It was a good decision to do this because the main thing is playing better and investing more. The rest will come.

 

 

“He enjoys playing in the team at the moment, he sees we’re in a good way and as a captain, he’s responsible also.

“An important message for him also is that he sees we’re going in a clear direction as a club which is important for him.”

Hojbjerg joined Southampton from Bayern Munich in 2016 on a five-year contract for a reported fee of £12.8m.

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM