Honours even at Hawthorns as West Brom edge closer to Championship


A goal from Mbaye Diagne was not enough as West Brom slipped closer to relegation after a draw with Wolves at the Hawthorns.

Diagne pounced in the second period after Fabio Silva had fortuitously given Wolves a half-time lead. But it was not enough and games are now running out for an escape act.

Wolves made the brighter start in pouring rain but chances early on were few and far between. On 11 minutes Vitinha’s corner found Romain Saiss at the back post but his header was comfortably saved by Sam Johnstone.

That was the first effort on target by either side. But two minutes later the Baggies sparked into life.

Matheus Pereira picked out Diagne who in turn found Darnell Furlong. But the defender dragged his shot wide from 20 yards.

Young American Owen Otasowie should have done better for Wolves on 23 minutes but his effort was blocked by Kyle Bartley.

As the half progressed, Nuno Espirito Santo’s men started to take control of the midfield. And Rayan Ait-Nouri tried his luck from distance as the half-hour approached.

Johnstone was equal to the task and was called into action once again just two minutes later. Poor defending let Nelson Semedo in and the Baggies keeper pulled off a fingertip save to keep the scores level.

Wolves continued to pour forward and Vitinha forced another save from the busy Johnstone. But West Brom nearly took the lead on 42 minutes as Saiss cleared Diagne’s effort off the line.

Two minutes into first-half stoppage time Wolves took the lead through Fabio Silva. And it was an unlucky goal for Sam Allardyce’s men to concede.

Vitinha backheeled the ball to Semedo who failed to control but Bartley’s attempted clearance deflected in off Silva.

West Brom strike back

Wolves deserved their half-time lead and were again on the front foot as the second period opened. Ruben Neves fired wide from distance on 46 minutes but, after weathering the storm, West Brom responded.

Excellent build-up play allowed Conor Townsend to get his shot away, causing Rui Patricio into a smart save. And on 62 minutes the hosts were level.


Townsend found himself in acres of space and crossed superbly for Diagne to bury the ball it the bottom corner.

The goal seemed to wake Wolves up and they launched a few attacks that came to nothing. And it was Albion who created the next opening on 76 minutes.

Furlong went route one and found Diagne on the edge of the box. But, with the rain pouring down, he struggled to control and Patricio cleared up at the back.

As the game opened up Wolves began to dominate once again and substitute Daniel Podence’s shot was blocked from the edge of the box.

Both sides battled through the rain but could not find a winner. West Brom now need to win their remaining four games and hope results go their way to remain in the Premier League.