‘Heartbroken’ Odegaard sets sights on next move amid Arsenal transfer talk

Date published: Sunday 4th April 2021 8:22 - Steve Pearson

Odegaard.Klopp_.TEAMtalk

On-loan Arsenal playmaker Martin Odegaard’s has indicated where he wishes to be playing his football next season, according to a report.

The Norwegian, 22, has begun to showcase why Real Madrid splashed out for his signature at such a young age. His displays for Arsenal against Tottenham and West Ham set pulses racing prior to the international break. By all accounts, the Gunners have a strong desire to make his temporary move permanent.

A report last week outlined the figure required to pull off the coup. With Real one of many embroiled in the Erling Haaland sweepstakes, Odegaard’s sale would go some way to bolstering their warchest for the hitman.

Arsenal will look to extend Odegaard’s stay in some form and talks will start at the end of the season.

“I speak with him every day,” said Arteta. “I see his face, his body language and he seems really happy right now here.

“Our contract with him is until the end of the season. What we have to do is try to make him perform, develop and be as happy as he can be.”

The midfielder has indicated he is “happy” in North London, though the latest report has revealed his true feelings.

90min state that Odegaard is understood to be ‘heartbroken’ at the prospect of leaving Los Blancos without making a lasting impact.

 

He has reportedly been told he is free to find a new club at season’s end, and Odegaard has made his intentions to remain in England clear.

Whether Arsenal is his landing spot is another matter with contact reportedly already made with ‘three’ other Premier League sides.

Interest will also be forthcoming from the continent, most notably from PSG and Inter.

A move to Italy is deemed a low priority, however, with Odegaard preferring to remain in England where he is already settled.

 

Arsenal personnel insufficient for Arteta gameplan – Neville

Mikel Arteta, Sadio Mane, Calum Chambers Arsenal v Liverpool April 2021

Meanwhile, Gary Neville says that up to five players in Mikel Arteta’s team gave Arsenal’s gameplan against Liverpool no chance of producing a result.

Arsenal lost 3-0 to the Reds on Saturday in both sides’ first match back from the international break. After a goalless first half, Liverpool substitute Diogo Jota made the difference. The Portugal international netted a brace either side of Mohamed Salah’s cool strike past Bernd Leno.

He said: “We have seen the old Arsenal tonight. It’s been very shabby. I’ve not liked it from minute one. There’s been a real lack of hunger.”

Speaking after the match, he added: “A lack of pace, a lack of a plan.

“But I have to say, when you are carrying too many who don’t want to do the work without the ball, to the extent that four or five didn’t, then Arteta’s gameplan is gone.

“Arteta knows where he needs to go. And he has got confirmation of it tonight.”

READ MORE: Arteta livid as he explains how Arsenal loss to Liverpool left him ‘in shock’

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM