Hodgson confident Chelsea, Spurs target will sign new deal at Palace

Date published: Friday 10th August 2018 3:24

Roy Hodgson is “confident” Wilfried Zaha will follow his lead in signing a new contract to remain at Crystal Palace.

The manager, who turned 71 on Thursday, has agreed new terms to commit to the club until 2020.

He revealed similar discussions are ongoing with his finest player at the conclusion of a transfer window in which his future became uncertain.

“There’s never been any question of the club wanting or being interested in any offers for Wilf Zaha,” Hodgson said.

“We said at a very early stage, myself, the chairman and the American owners, that we don’t want to bring that many players in, and certainly don’t want to lose the good players we have.

“I’m delighted (Zaha is staying). He’ll be happy too, because he’s such an iconic figure at this club. When you’ve got a player of that quality – and we’ve got several of them – there’s always going to be speculation because other clubs are going to want them.

“I’m not aware of bids (for him), but that doesn’t mean to say they weren’t there. The bids don’t come these days directly to managers. They come through chairmen, and also through sporting directors. Often it goes owner to owner when you’re talking about the big transfers.

“That discussion (about a new contract for Zaha) has been going on, but as far as I’m concerned that’s private between Wilf and the club. I’m just confident they’ll find the solution everyone’s happy with.”

The club are clearly happy with the work Hodgson has done, which is reflected by the contract extension.

The former England boss took over at Selhurst Park in September last year, after Frank de Boer had suffered five defeats in five Premier League games to leave the Eagles rooted to the bottom of the early standings.

Hodgson lifted Palace well clear of relegation with the club ultimately finishing 11th.

It was a fantastic achievement from Hodgson, who had quit as England manager after the Three Lions’ Euro 2016 exit to Iceland.

Hodgson said: “I am delighted to have extended my contract with Crystal Palace. It is a club that has been close to my heart since I was a youngster growing up in the borough of Croydon, and having stood on the terraces in the 1950s, it is a wonderful thing to be managing my boyhood club all these years later.

“We can be proud of our achievements last season in turning things around despite a poor start, but this year we want to ensure we don’t endure the same struggles.

“I am thrilled that I have the support of the owners, who belie

ve that I am the right man to help this club move forward and I will do everything I can to make that happen.”

Palace’s opening fixture of the Premier League season will take Hodgson back to Fulham, where he enjoyed great success between 2007 and 2010.

Of those considered important to Palace’s hopes, only Scott Dann, owing to a long-term knee injury, has been ruled out of Saturday’s fixture at Craven Cottage.

New signings Vicente Guaita, Jordan Ayew and Cheikhou Kouyate are in contention to make their debuts from kick-off, with Max Meyer set to miss out due to a lack of match-fitness.

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM