Hope for Man Utd as details emerge about Dries Mertens’ Napoli contract

Date published: Monday 16th December 2019 3:13

Dries Mertens TEAMtalk

Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis has revealed that attacker Dries Mertens is unable to stay in Italy should he leave his current employers.

Mertens, who has scored nine goals and assisted four others in 21 appearances for Napoli so far this term, is set to leave at the end of the season if an extension cannot be agreed due to his contract expiring in the summer.

Recent reports have linked Manchester United with a move for the Belgian international; it has been claimed that Mertens is one of six players the Red Devils are keen on signing in the upcoming transfer windows.

Mertens’ agent has also spoken about his client’s future, claiming that the 32-year-old would be open to a move to the Premier League for next season.

Speaking to Calciomercato, De Laurentiis has now provided a more concrete update on the player’s situation, confirming a clause which rules out the likes of Inter Milan from signing him.

When asked about interest from Inter Milan, Napoli’s president said: “Inter on Mertens? Dries has a contract with which he can go from all sides, except in Italy.

“Is that clear? He is is also a false nine for us, we don’t need other attackers in January.”

Elsewhere, United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has spoken about the speculation surrounding the future of RB Salzburg striker Erling Braut Haaland.

The 19-year-old has been heavily linked with a move to Old Trafford in the January transfer window after announcing himself on the European stage with eight goals in six Champions League appearances this term.

 

 

Speaking to TV2, Solskjaer said: “There’s been plenty of speculation, and you know I wont talk about that, but he’s had a great career in Salzburg, so he knows what he wants to do.”

United – who drew with Everton on Sunday – face Colchester in the EFL Cup in their next game on Wednesday.

 

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM