Howe still has faith in his ability to turn Bournemouth’s woes around

Date published: Friday 17th January 2020 3:32

Eddie Howe remains convinced he is the right man to drag Bournemouth away from Premier League relegation danger and dismissed suggestions he has been asked to resign.

Howe’s position as Cherries boss has come under heavy scrutiny following an alarming slump which has left the club second bottom of the table.

Bournemouth have lost nine of their previous 11 league games and are the joint-lowest scorers in the division ahead of Saturday’s trip to bottom club Norwich.

Howe, who has guided the south coast club from League Two to the top-flight during two spells, insists he can turn things around.

“It might be hard for you (the media) to be positive. I’ve always said in good moments, bad moments, the key thing is find ways to improve,” said Howe.

“It’s a difficult moment, a negative moment, we’ve got to find ways to improve and change our results, change our performances. I’m absolutely confident we can do that.

“I’ve seen a good reaction from the players this week, very focused, very driven to help ourselves out of the position that we’re in, and change the mood, so that’s what we’ve got to do.

“Rain or shine, I try to be very consistent with my message and how I work with my players.

“Obviously there’s a huge expectation for the team to get results, and I understand that, and that will never leave me because you want to win.”

Eddie-Howe TEAMtalk

Howe is the longest-serving Premier League manager having returned to the Vitality Stadium for a second spell in October 2012.

Responding to rumours he had been asked to step down as manager, he replied: “No, there’s no truth in that.”

Sections of Bournemouth’s home support jeered the team from the field following last weekend’s damaging 3-0 defeat at home to fellow strugglers Watford.

That loss left the Cherries with just four points from the last 33 available dating back to early November.

Howe felt the displeasure of fans was justified and described the weekend trip to Carrow Road as “massive”.

“You have to be very open and honest when you don’t perform, you can’t hide away from it, so I had no problem with that,” he said of the boos.

“I shared that reaction, it wasn’t an unjust one, the responsibility is on us to change that.

“The players know how important every game is now, we’re going to run out of games if we don’t turn our form around, so it’s a massive game for us.”

Bournemouth travel to Norfolk with a goal-shy front line which has mustered only two goals in eight games and just 20 in total.

Howe admits the lack of goals is his major concern but refused to point the finger at England striker Callum Wilson, who has gone 14 top-flight games without finding the net.

“There definitely has to be a shift and an improvement in our attacking play, which is hard for us because it’s been so unlike us in recent seasons,” said Howe.

“That’s a massive thing we need to rediscover very quickly.

“I never focus on one player. Every player in every position has a responsibility to help us attack and create chances.

“Callum will focus on himself, but he’s also very much a team player. If the team performs, Callum will get chances to score.”

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM