Huge blow for Liverpool as Fabinho ruled out until 2020 with ligament damage

Date published: Friday 29th November 2019 1:24

Liverpool will be without Fabinho for the rest of 2019 after it was confirmed that the midfielder suffered ankle ligament damage against Napoli.

Fabinho had to be taken off during the first half of the 1-1 Champions League draw in midweek, and the club have now confirmed that scans have shown ligament damage.

Liverpool’s announcement says he will miss the rest of this calendar year, with The Times‘ Paul Joyce claiming he faces up to eight weeks on the sidelines.

The 26-year-old will consequently miss the Merseyside derby against Everton, while he could be in doubt for the clashes with Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester United in the new year.

 

Jurgen Klopp had said straight after the Napoli game that things did not look good for Fabinho.

“The biggest thing is the Fabinho injury, that’s massive. It’s early and we all hope it’s not too serious but it’s pretty painful and in an area you don’t want to have pain, around the ankle.”

Fabinho had featured in all but one of the Reds’ Premier League games so far, while also being ever-present in the Champions League.

He will now miss a hectic period for Liverpool, who have eight games to play in December – including the last Champions League group match against RB Salzburg and the Club World Cup.

Read more: Georginio Wijnaldum has hinted that he could fill Fabinho’s role in defensive midfield if needed.

 

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM