Humes confident of survival

Date published: Wednesday 29th April 2015 10:28

The U’s are a point from safety ahead of their final game of the season against promotion-chasing Preston North End on Sunday, following an entertaining draw with the Robins.

Jacob Murphy gave Colchester a first-minute lead that was cancelled out by Ben Gladwin soon after half-time.

U’s boss Humes said: “It’s not over yet and we should be confident that we can beat Preston, if we play in the same way.

“I thought that we were outstanding all through the game in terms of how we went about it, the quality we showed and the opportunities that we created.

“We just didn’t finish them off but the work-rate and effort was excellent.

“We made a great start, which we’ve done a lot this season.

“We kept playing the game the right way and created a lot more opportunities.

“The chances were there – Swindon had a few chances too but looking at what we created against a good team, the players were fantastic.

“You have to back yourself when you’re playing against a team like Swindon and if you sit back and wait for them to come and attack you, you’ll end up getting beaten because of the quality they’ve got.”

Swindon boss Mark Cooper admitted his side were not at their best.

“I didn’t think we were very good,” he said.

“We started by conceding a goal in the first minute and it then became an end to end game, which is not what we need.

“We need to be in control of the ball and it was far too end to end.

“The players must have run ridiculous amounts of kilometres because we ran with the ball when we should have passed it, tried to dribble out of the box when we should have cleared it and we didn’t mark properly.

“We weren’t great but we dug in and got a point and could have nicked it towards the end.

“Colchester are fighting for their lives and they gave it a right go.

“We’re a better team when we control – when the game turns into a fight we’re not really built to be that good at that because we’ve got a lot of technical players.”

Colchester went ahead inside a minute through Murphy, who converted Gavin Massey’s low cross from close range.

Massey, Alex Gilbey and Chris Porter all came close to doubling the U’s lead, while Sam Walker denied Nathan Byrne and Andy Williams before half-time.

Jack Stephens cleared a deflected effort off the line before Swindon levelled eight minutes after the break through Gladwin’s glancing header from Yasser Kasim’s corner.

Porter’s late header came back off a post late on, as honours finished even.

Related Articles