Liverpool transfer position on Jadon Sancho, Kai Havertz revealed

Date published: Saturday 8th February 2020 8:29

Liverpool will not be making a move to sign either Jadon Sancho or Kai Havertz this summer due to two key reasons, according to a report.

The 19-year-old Sancho has been superb for Dortmund and is now rated as one of the best young attacking players in the world.

Sancho has scored 10 goals and provided 10 assists in 16 Bundesliga appearances so far this season, and has also found the net twice and has provided two assists in six Champions League matches.

That has inevitably led to speculation linking the winger with a return to the Premier League, with both Manchester United and Chelsea expected to launch bids for a player rated by Dortmund at a staggering €150million.

However, he’s also been strongly tipped as a target for Liverpool, with Jurgen Klopp reportedly looking to supplement an attack already rated as one of the most feared in world football.

Playmaker Havertz would also attract a significant price tag, with reports in Germany suggesting that his club Bayer Leverkusen are braced for bids and will demand around £110million.

However, The Athletic‘s James Pearce claims deals for either of the Bundesliga-based youngsters is not currently in Liverpool’s thinking – and he has two solid reasons why Klopp and Co will not be making their moves.

With the duo likely to have £100m price tags each, Pearce claims both players are viewed as too pricey by Liverpool’s hierarchy.

Furthermore, it’s suggested Liverpool don’t want to waste time getting into a bidding war over players, given the pair are also likely to be subject of massive interest from some of Europe’s big spenders.

Indeed, Pearce claims Liverpool’s next transfer priority is recruiting a new left-back to provide cover and competition for undisputed first choice Andy Robertson. Liverpool only have James Milner as cover right now and, despite a number of star youngsters emerging, left-back is one area the club are short.

One name on their radar is believed to be Vitesse Arnhem’s Hull-born left-back Max Clark, with the 25-year-old currently boasting incredible stats. 

 

Jadon Sancho to Liverpool rated doubtful by former star

Former Liverpool star Steve McManaman also believes it’s highly unlikely the Reds will go for Sancho.

“Sancho would probably prefer to go somewhere where he will start week-in and week-out and there’s no problem with that,” McManaman said in his column for HorseRacing.net

“The other thing to consider is the cost implications. How much is he going to cost? No doubt, he’s an extremely bright prospect, he’s doing really well in Dortmund, he plays regularly and he’s a star there.

“Whether Liverpool would go for him now, I don’t know and if he was available, he’d command big money. And there a number of clubs that would go for him.”

Former Chelsea man Michael Ballack, meanwhile, believes Havertz is far more likely to end up signing for Bayern Munich.

Asked whether Bayern should make a move for Havertz, Ballack told Sport1: “Whether you might be obliged to do so depends on Philippe Coutinho’s future.

“I don’t want to make any recommendations there, but regardless of this: if Bayern act in perspective and you still want to get the best German players, Havertz has to be brought in.

“He is an exceptional player, but one thing is also clear, Havertz still needs time.

“He also needs the robustness to be mentally prepared for FC Bayern. I also needed my time in Leverkusen back then. Havertz must now look closely at his development. We do not need to talk about his footballing qualities because he is a top player.”

One man who has also been linked with a return to Liverpool, however, is Philippe Coutinho, and reports on Friday claimed Barcelona are looking to tempt the Reds into re-signing the Brazilian after sticking an obtainable fee on his head.

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM