Sky Sports News claim that Manchester United will not pay more than £50m for Jadon Sancho this summer.
Apparently “senior club officials” have told the broadcaster that United and Borussia Dortmund are poles apart regarding the valuation of the England forward.
The Bundesliga side are believed to be looking for a fee in excess of £100m for the 17-goal, 16 assist attacker, who has been linked with Chelsea and Liverpool.
However, United are unwilling to part with such a sum in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.
Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp last night admitted that the champions would not be spending big this summer due to the financial impact from Covid-19 and now United have also put the skids on a mega move for 20-year-old Sancho.
United. for all the speculation, are yet to make an official approach for Sancho, according to Sky. However, they do still claim that United remain “strong favourites” to agree a deal.
That though seems a long way off at this stage, especially when Dortmund’s CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke reiterated this week that Sancho would only leave if their valuation was met.
“I don’t think a club will pay the sum. There is also no coronavirus discount on him,” Watzke told Sport 1.
Dortmund remain intent on getting a big pay day for the former Man City man, who was a snip at £8m in August 2017.
The report claims BVB told the German stock market on Monday that playing games behind closed doors will lead to losses of around £41m.
However, a statement from the club then stated that their final figures may change depending on the transfer window activity.
Sancho ‘turns down’ new deal
German publication Sport Bild last week reported that Sancho could see his £5.5million-a-year deal almost doubled to £9.1m if he pens an extension with the club.
However, the Daily Express say Sancho will not accept a pay rise from Borussia Dortmund as he has apparently reiterated his desire to leave the club.
Sancho is believed to be keen on a move to Old Trafford and the latest news via Sky Sports is a bold move from the club to try and force through a deal.
Ed Woodward appears adamant that United will not go to nine figures for Sancho, which will leave the ball in Sancho’s court.
While keen to stick to their asking price, Dortmund are aware that Sancho has only two years left on his current contract and could leave for nothing in the summer of 2022.