Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas has insisted that he expects Moussa Dembele to stay at the club this month after continued speculation linking the striker with Manchester United.
Dembele, who moved to Ligue 1 from Celtic in July 2018, has been in excellent form this season having scored 15 goals and assisted five others in all competitions.
While Chelsea have been credited with interest as they look to provide support to Tammy Abraham up top, reports on Tuesday claimed that United have made a £43m bid for Dembele.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side are in need of a striker having lost Marcus Rashford to a serious back injury, with Paris Saint-Germain’s Edinson Cavani also mooted as a potential addition.
Speaking to reporters (via Goal), Aulas reiterated that he cannot see Dembele leaving for another team before the end of the transfer window.
“Our players are often targeted,” he said.
“We want Moussa Dembele and Lucas Tousart [linked with Hertha Berlin] to stay.
“The latter has received significant offers. If he leaves, we will have to replace him first.
“But I think they will stay. Now is not the time for us to weaken our team.”
Solskjaer faced the press in his latest press conference on Tuesday and insisted that Rashford’s injury was new and that the England international had previously showed no signs of a similar problem.
The Norwegian manager said: “He’s not had that injury before, no.
“He complained a little bit after Burnley, he felt it the first time, and we managed him as well as we could then, he had some days off for treatment, taken off in games and suddenly this was a new injury.
“He didn’t have any injuries before then.”