Jesse Lingard bid rebuffed as West Ham push through forward signing

Date published: Thursday 28th January 2021 9:40 - James Marshment

West Ham continue to negotiate with Manchester United over the loan signing of Jesse Lingard after seeing their latest offer rejected by the Red Devils.

David Moyes is keen to add to his squad as the Hammers continue their push for the European places.

And a loan swoop for Lingard could be on the cards, with the England man given the nod to leave Old Trafford.

Lingard has made just three appearances for the Red Devils this season. However, he previously played for Moyes when the Scot took charge at United backin 2013.

Premier League rivals Sheffield United and West Brom are also keen on the 28-year-old. However, it is the Hammers who look the most favourable option for the 24-times capped England midfielder.

They will clear their path to sign Lingard after freeing up a loan space in their squad. That should come about by bringing forward the permanent signing of Said Benrahma from Brentford.

The winger joined on an initial loan from Brentford in October. That though will be made a permanent £20m deal, with further add-ons pushing the deal to nearer £25m.

Said Benrahma TEAMtalk

However, talks over a deal for Lingard are yet to bear fruit. As per The Guardian, the Hammers’ latest offer to sign him on loan has been rejected.

The paper claims that while United are willing to let him join the Hammers, they currently remain ‘some distance apart’ over the fee.

Talks will continue in the hope a compromise can be reached ahead of Monday’s transfer deadline.


Subscribe for free to TEAMtalk’s daily newsletter…


Solskjaer on Lingard future

United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer insisted on Tuesday the player continues to train well as talks over his future progress.

Speculation also continues over a temporary exit for Brandon Williams. He has been mentioned as a target for the Hammers and Southampton. It was also recently claimed that Newcastle had agreed terms over a loan deal.

However, Solskjaer insists a deal for neither has been struck and he’ll continue to keep them in mind were they to stay put.

“They’re still part of the club, part of the squad, training well,” Solskjaer said.

“No deal has been struck for any of the players yet going out – still a little period, of course.

“There’s been many clubs interested in our players, so let’s see what happens.

“For me, it’s also important to take our wishes and our plans into consideration but also the players of course. They are Man United people and players through and through.”

Paper Talk: West Ham to make fresh £35m striker bid

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM