Mourinho offers hint at next club with carefully-worded statement on future

Date published: Saturday 1st May 2021 9:48 - Jonny Whitfield

Jose Mourinho Tottenham TEAMtalk

Former Tottenham boss Jose Mourinho says that he is in no rush to return to football management after his recent sacking.

The Portuguese got the boot from the north London club in April after a spell of poor form. Spurs had slid down the Premier League table since December ahead of a shock Europa League exit. As such, Ryan Mason has taken the reins until the end of the season while the search for a new manager goes on.

Mourinho’s recent dismissal made it his third Premier League sacking in six years.

As well as Tottenham, he left Manchester United in 2018 and Chelsea in 2015.

As such, he has taken lessons from his recent exploits and plans to wait for the right opportunity to come up. However, he wants his next destination to offer him more than just a job in the dugout.

“I have no plans,” the 58-year-old told the Times Magazine.

“I am going on with my normal life. I feel fresh, I feel calm, I am on holiday.

“I have more time to be doing my homework and analysis. I’ll wait to be back in football.

“Not just for the right club, but for the right culture. Maybe next season is premature, we will see.”

In the meantime, Mourinho has signed up to become a pundit at the delayed European Championships this summer.

Nevertheless, he will no doubt be watching on to see who Spurs appoint as his successor.

Tottenham manager search blows

Julian Nagelsmann RB Leipzig

However, that search is not going as well as perhaps planned so far for chairman Daniel Levy.

Julian Nagelsmann will leave RB Leipzig to replace Hansi Flick at Bayern Munich. However, exciting American Jesse Marsch is also now unavailable, after agreeing to replace Nagelsmann.

Meanwhile, Ajax manager Erik ten Hag has extended his contract.

READ MORE: Tottenham target Ten Hag rejects ‘serious offers’ to pen new Ajax contract

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM