Jota completes turnaround as Liverpool fight back to beat Sheffield United

Diogo Jota Liverpool TEAMtalk

Liverpool had to come from behind to claim a 2-1 win over Sheffield United at Anfield as they moved above Aston Villa and in to second on the table.

The visitors took the lead after 13 minutes when Sander Berge converted from the penalty spot following a controversial decision to award a spot kick.

Fabinho was adjudged to have fouled Oli McBurnie in the box by VAR, although replay images would suggest that the Brazilian won the ball and any contact was made outside of the area.

The momentum was with Chris Wilder’s side after that, and the Blades had a number of chances to go two up. McBurnie, Berge and Ben Osborn all had attempts at goal but could not beat the returning Alisson for a second time.

And they were made to pay for their failure to extend their advantage when Roberto Firmino scored his first goal of the season shortly before half time, the striker on hand to convert a simple tap in after Aaron Ramsdale had saved Sadio Mane’s header.

The South Yorkshire side had two more big chances to edge in front again within the first 15 minutes after the break, but neither George Baldock or McBurnie could get themselves on the scoresheet.

The Premier League champions became an ever increasing threat from then on though, and thought they had hit the front for the first time just after the hour mark when Mohamed Salah volleyed home, but he was ruled offside.

It wasn’t to matter though as just two minutes later Diogo Jota did put Jurgen Klopp’s men ahead, nodding home Mane’s cross from the left.

Determined not to accept defeat, Sheffield United pushed forward and were unfortunate not to equalise through either Oliver Burke, who forced a save out of Alisson, or David McGoldrick, who hit his half-volley over the bar soon after being introduced from the bench.

Salah came within inches of getting his goal with just under 10 minutes remaining, but his dinked finish over Ramsdale came back off the post.

The Blades had one final chance in the second minute of added time, but Burke hit his attempt over as Liverpool held on.