Lyon director shares update on Man Utd target after unveiling new striker

Date published: Thursday 11th June 2020 3:50

Moussa-Dembele-Lyon-TEAMtalk

Lyon sporting director Juninho says he will look to sign a replacement of similar quality if Moussa Dembele departs in the coming months.

The French club’s president, Jean-Michel Aulas, confirmed last month that he could struggle to keep hold of the striker.

French authorities voided the Ligue 1 season in April and Lyon –  who finished seventh – will be without the lucrative incentive of European football next season.

Aulas made the admission amid several reports of Manchester United and Chelsea’s interest in Dembele.

Chelsea were heavily linked in January, when boss Frank Lampard said he was “surprised” at such reports.

In the same month, Lyon announced the signing of striker Tino Kadewere from Le Havre, who spent the rest of the campaign on loan at his now former club.

Speaking at a press conference for Kadewere’s unveiling, Juninho reiterated that Dembele faces an uncertain future.

“Moussa had a good season, I think that he still has room to improve,” the sporting director said (via GFFN).

“He is a pure centre forward, who brings us a lot of strength and presence in the box. And he scores goals.

“If we lose players of his level, we will seek replacements, I hope of the same level of quality. We have spoken about this with the president.”

Meanwhile, Aulas also admitted last month that exciting midfielder Houssem Aouar – linked with Liverpool – could leave.

Juninho added: “Moussa and Houssem are two of the best players in the team but they are different cases.

“Houssem was formed here, he has been here for a long time. He brings us the technical touch required in midfield.

“But we know that the majority of youth academy talents here, who have Houssem’s talent, have left at one moment or another.

“It is the president who will decide. If we receive offers, we will analyse them. He is an important player.”

MAN UTD DEVISE POGBA, FERNANDES PLAN?

United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has reportedly planned to make sure Paul Pogba and Bruno Fernandes feature in the side.

Fernandes has made a blistering impact since his January arrival, while Pogba has had his season wrecked by injuries.

Much has been made about the pair’s potential partnership and Solskjaer hinted last month he could field the two.

United return to action with a huge Premier League clash against Tottenham next Friday.

Read more…

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM