Klopp makes decisive Liverpool VAR claim after slamming latest fiasco

Date published: Wednesday 9th December 2020 8:55 - Jonny Whitfield

Jurgen Klopp

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp insisted that he has changed his mind on VAR after watching its involvement in his side’s 1-1 draw with Midtjylland.

The Reds were denied a last-gasp winner by the video assistants against their Danish opponents on Wednesday.

Indeed, the subsequent handball ruling against substitute Sadio Mane came after VAR had earlier gone against them again – and saved them.

Overall, the three second-half incidents amounted to over eight minutes of stoppage time.

Asked about the decision to rule out Takumi Minamino’s goal at the end, Klopp told reporters (via Twitter) that he felt most frustrated at the time being taken to reach decisions.

“I haven’t seen it back but it took too long and it was really cold. It’s really hard,” the manager said.

“I used to be one of the people who said VAR is a good idea but I’m not sure I’d say that again.”

Luckily for Liverpool there was nothing riding on the Champions League match; the Reds had already secured top spot in Group D, with their hosts rock bottom.

 

 

As such, Klopp had a chance to rotate, with youngsters taking some of the headlines.

Midfielder Leighton Clarkson made his Champions League debut and defender Billy Koumetio came on as the club’s youngest-ever player in the competition.

Klopp hails Liverpool youngsters

Jurgen Klopp

Asked about the duo, the German coach said: “It’s a wonderful thing to have your first Champions League game, but a career is all about how many you will have.

“We let them make the experience without making it too big. Both boys have a lot to learn but they are really skilled.

“They helped us a lot as we could rest other players. It was a big night for both. I’m thankful they’re already as good as they are.”

However, Liverpool did end up bringing their senior stars on in the hunt for a winner. As well as Mane, Andy Robertson, Jordan Henderson and Roberto Firmino were all second-half substitutes.

Fabinho and Mohamed Salah, meanwhile, started the match, with the former coming off for Koumetio at half time.

“You can make changes but you need a few key positions. That’s why Fabinho played and the decision for Mo, who looked fine and that’s why we didn’t take him off. He had no issues,” Klopp said.

Liverpool return to action on Sunday when they play Fulham in a Premier League fixture.

READ MORE: Pundit reckons former star is perfect solution to Liverpool problem

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM