Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has said that no decision has been made about whether Mohamed Salah will attend this summer’s Olympic Games with his native Egypt.
Egypt Under-23 coach Shawky Gharib, who is responsible for deciding his country’s squad for the Tokyo Games, declared earlier this week that he intends to include Salah in his ranks.
Should that happen, Salah will be absent from Liverpool’s pre-season from July 23 until August 8 at the latest, with the Reds kicking off their new campaign on August 9.
However, Gharib then clarified his comments and insisted that the decision must be made by Klopp, Salah and the club.
Speaking at a press conference on Friday, Klopp was asked about the situation and said that he would rather not lose Salah to other commitments.
The manager said: “Do I want to lose a player in pre-season? Of course not. That’s clear.
“But we have to consider different things. I will speak with Mo and all that stuff.”
“We are completely clear about what we want, but we need more information: how will it look, when will the preparation start, all that stuff.
“No decision yet, but we will see.”
Salah decided not to entertain the Premier League’s winter break, instead staying at Liverpool’s Melwood training ground to work on his fitness.
Klopp also confirmed at the press conference that Sadio Mane and James Milner are back in contention for Saturday’s Premier League clash away to Norwich.
Mane left the field with a muscle issue in the win over Wolves at the end of January, while Milner has not been seen since his early withdrawal from the FA Cup third-round win against Everton.
Xherdan Shaqiri and Nathaniel Clyne both remain sidelined, however.
Elsewhere, Klopp added that Andrew Robertson is feeling refreshed after a tough recent period for the Reds.
Robertson has admitted playing through a considerable pain barrier but his manager offered a positive update on his fitness.