Liverpool will offer Jurgen Klopp significant transfer funds this summer to strengthen his squad, with three priority signings likely be targeted, claims a report.
The Reds sat top of the Premier League at Christmas, but now face a stern battle to make the top four.
Six Anfield defeats in a row following 68 games unbeaten at home is perhaps the most damning reason. However, factors including injuries and a change in personnel have played their part.
That has led to surprise speculation that Klopp could depart this summer – rumours he has quickly rejected.
Indeed, Klopp very much still has the backing of the Liverpool hierarchy as he looks to reverse their slide.
While Klopp himself has ruled out a total rebuild of his squad, money will be provided to strengthen their squad.
Missing out on the Champions League would seriously hamper Liverpool’s finances. That would be a cruel blow for owners FSG, who, like everyone else, has been hampered by the global economic downturn.
Despite that, The Athletic says the “club insist the money is available” to invest this summer.
With that in mind, they claim Klopp will prioritise two immediate areas to strengthen: central defence and in attack.
The report claims Klopp knows his ageing front three cannot continue forever. Indeed, all of Mohamed Salah, Roberto Firmino and Sadio Mane will be 29 and over come the end of the 2021/22 season. Salah aside, both Firmino and Mane have suffered serious dips in form this season.
And while targets have not been named, several big names, including Kylian Mbappe, have been touted of late.
It will also come as no surprise to see Liverpool targeting defensive reinforcements given their issues this season. The Athletic claims Ozan Kabak is auditioning for a long-term role at Anfield.
He signed on loan in January and the Reds do have an option to make the move permanent. However, RB Leipzig’s Ibrahima Konate, Marseille’s Duje Caleta-Car and David Carmo of Braga all remain alternatives.
Klopp also needs Wijnaldum replacement
Klopp will also likely need to sign a replacement for the departing Georginho Wijnaldum in midfield.
The Dutchman has continued to be as reliable as ever in the Reds’ engine room, amid swirling uncertainty over whether he will be at the club next season.
Wijnaldum’s contract expires at the end of the campaign and no concrete news over an extension has so far surfaced.
However, a report on Saturday morning claimed Wijnaldum is in the final stages of securing a ‘dream’ move away from Anfield.
Both players would offer Liverpool a potential like-for-like replacement. However, it’s believed Klopp and sporting director Michael Edwards fancy Rodrigo De Paul from Udinese.
The Reds were warned this week that any deal for the Argentine would ‘not come cheap‘.
However, with the 26-year-old said to be keen on the move, the Reds are being tipped to make him a summer priority too.