Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has confirmed that Ragnar Klavan is heading out of Anfield with his blessing.
The Reds central defender is all set to sign for Cagliari before tonight’s 7pm Serie A deadline for a fee believed to be around £2million.
The Estonia captain has made 53 appearances for Liverpool, scoring twice, but his time is coming to an end and Klopp did not seem too upset to lose the 32-year-old.
“If Klavan leaves then I suggested it. That’s how it is,” said Klopp at Friday’s press call ahead of Monday’s trip to Crystal Palace. “No player would leave this club if I didn’t allow it. If he leaves then I’ve said yes.”
Asked how many players he expects to leave before the end of the August, Klopp said: “It’s about the situation. How is the offer? How is the need for us?
“We are not in a financial situation where we have to do that (let players leave).
“We can give a few players an opportunity (to leave) but we have to see how many.”
The Reds boss was then asked about the progress of Joe Gomez, who started last week at centre-back alongside Virgil van Dijk, and whether his development was a consideration in allowing Klavan to leave.
“There’s no doubt about Joe’s ability to play centre-half, but he needs time,” added Klopp.
“He’s had a long injury. He’s fit which is very good. Together with Virgil they have a very good understanding. But we have the others as well. Joel is close to being back and could be in the squad on Monday.
“Dejan (Lovren) is still injured but we have Nat Phillips and Fabinho can play the position as well, if we need.
“That’s good. We have enough players. We need to see who fits the opponents best and then pick the line-up.”