Newcastle abandon chase after Klopp makes decision over striker

Date published: Tuesday 8th September 2020 10:33

Rhian Brewster Liverpool

Newcastle United have abandoned their chase for Rhian Brewster after Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp reportedly blocked a loan move for the striker.

Football Insider report that Steve Bruce was eager to pair Brewster with new signing Callum Wilson, but the Tyneside club have been told the young forward is not available.

Numerous enquiries have been made for 20-year-old Brewster, including from Aston Villa. But the report claims Klopp has made his mind up on the forward and decided to keep him at Anfield at least until January.

Klopp apparently wants Brewster in his squad in the first half of the season and will then re-evaluate the situation in the winter.

Brewster looked like a squad contender for the champions last season after featuring heavily in pre-season. However, he did not get elevated into Klopp’s first-team reckoning and made the bench once in the Premier League before being loaned to Swansea in January.

 

 

He was a huge hit in south Wales, scoring 10 goals in 20 games as Swansea reached the play-offs. And such was his impact in the second tier that dozens of clubs have enquired about the Londoner.

Klopp though looks set to integrate Brewster into his squad this time after another impressive pre-season.

Among his latest contributions are two goals that saw him rescue Liverpool a draw against RB Salzburg.

More recently, the substitute striker suffered disappointment after missing a crucial penalty in the Community Shield clash.

Previous to that, he also scored against Stuttgart as the Reds stepped up their preparations for the new season.

Asked if Brewster was part of his first team plans ahead of Liverpool’s clash with Arsenal in the Community Shield last month, Klopp admitted he is still weighing up his options.

Klopp said: “At the moment, he is. We will have to see what will happen in the next few weeks or so.

“We want to use Rhian and want to help Rhian as well, so that’s why we have to make decisions, but not now.”

Rio points to huge factor on Liverpool’s side

Rio Ferdinand TEAMtalk

Meanwhile, Rio Ferdinand believes Liverpool’s huge advantage over their Premier League rivals could evaporate quickly this season, but he accepts Klopp’s dream team deserve to be hailed as title favourites.

Speaking exclusively to TEAMtalk at a BT Sport event, Manchester United legend Ferdinand poured praise on Klopp’s newly crowned champions, as he suggested they deserve to take their place alongside some of the great sides in English football after they ended Liverpool’s 30-year wait for a domestic league title.

Yet despite a dominant title win that saw them finish a massive 18 points ahead of second-placed Manchester City, Ferdinand suggests the chasing pack should believe they can close that chasm and knock Liverpool off their perch when the new campaign gets underway next week.

READ MORE…

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM