Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has said that cost would “100 per cent” be an issue if his side were to register their interest in Borussia Dortmund winger Jadon Sancho in the January transfer window.
Recent incidents – including the 19-year-old being fined after returning late from international duty – have reportedly led to a growing desire from the England star to leave Dortmund, although sporting director Michael Zorc has insisted that the issues have been resolved.
The rumours still persist, however, with the latest claim suggesting that Liverpoool were favourites to sign Sancho if his relationship with Dortmund does become unsalvagable.
Speaking to the Liverpool Echo, Klopp refused to be drawn on such talk but did open up on the likelihood of his side signing the winger.
“He’s a very good player,” the manager said. “I have no clue where these kind of things are coming from, but it cannot come from us because we never speak about it.
“If we would be involved, nobody would know about it apart from a person who wouldn’t speak about it. There’s nothing to say.
“Cost? That’s one issue, 100 per cent that would be an issue. But there’s nothing to say about it.
“I know how it sounds, but I cannot change that. There’s nothing to say about it, which can mean there’s absolutely nothing to say about it.”
The Reds will host Everton at Anfield – the second time in three seasons the third round has hosted a Merseyside Derby – with the two sides also meeting in the Premier League on Wednesday.
“I didn’t run through my living room to celebrate. I think for both [teams] it was not exactly what you wish for,” Klopp said of the draw.
“But we have no problem playing Everton, it’s a big game, great club, big opponent. Last year we had Wolves at home and Chelsea away in the League Cup.”