Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp says that he is confident of Diogo Jota’s availability for Thursday’s clash with Chelsea amid his absence from Sunday’s squad.
The Portuguese forward returned to training last week following over two months out with a knee injury.
But despite staking a claim to play against Sheffield United, he missed out on the squad again due to illness.
As such, he sat out the match alongside Alisson Becker – who is mourning the loss of his father – and Fabinho, who is still recovering from injury.
Speaking in his post-match press conference, Klopp opened up on the trio’s chances of facing Chelsea.
“With Diogo, he was with us last night in the hotel, but he got sick overnight and we had to send him home.
“So it will depend how quickly he recovers, obviously.
“He wasn’t in the squad, but he’s trained with the team before [last week] and looked really good, like I said before.”
Jota’s return to the squad came with much anticipation, following the flying start he made to his Liverpool career.
The 24-year-old scored nine goals in 17 games, but has had to watch Liverpool’s slide down the table since from the sidelines.
“I would think that Diogo is ready for Thursday, but I don’t know at the moment,” Klopp added.
“Fabinho trained twice with the team and should be pretty close for the squad, I am sure. That is it pretty much.”
Klopp answers Liverpool critics
Nevertheless, Liverpool got past Sheffield United without their absent trio.
Adrian had a largely quiet game in goal, while Nathaniel Phillips and Ozan Kabak played in central defence.
Further forward, midfielder Curtis Jones opened the scoring in the second half before an own goal finished the Blades off.
Speaking to Sky Sports, Klopp was keen to answer his Liverpool critics.