Klopp shuts down €100m signing talk; hints at summer transfer plan

Date published: Thursday 25th April 2019 1:47

Jurgen Klopp shot down transfer speculation linking Liverpool with Lorenzo Insigne at today’s Melwood press conference.

Klopp, speaking ahead of Friday’s Anfield clash with Huddersfield, was asked whether there was any truth in the talk that Klopp was looking to sign Insigne this summer.

“We will not sign Lorenzo Insigne. He is a very good player but he has a long-term contract at Napoli,” said Klopp.

“We will not even try it.”

The Reds boss, who has previously hinted that Liverpool’s transfer plans will not be as extensive as in previous windows, again claimed their activity will be low key this summer.

“We will try to improve the team always. We will try it always in training, I think that is the best way to do it,” added Klopp.

“The team is pretty well balanced. Our plans are not for the public, that’s how it is.

“Will it be the biggest transfer window of Liverpool? No, but you’d have been surprised if I said yes.

“Our eyes are always open. We always look. What happens if and when but nothing to say in the moment.”

Lorenzo Insigne TEAMtalk

Reports this week claimed Liverpool were in pole position to sign €100m-rated Napoli attacker Insigne.

Corriere dello Sport claimed the Reds were still keen on the Italy forward – a player who is understood to have been on Liverpool’s radar for some time.

Italian website La Repubblica, as quoted by Sport Witness, reported last month how Jurgen Klopp’s side had seen a massive €70million (£61m) bid for the Serie A sensation rejected in the January window.

The 27-year-old, who is under contract until 2022, has scored 13 goals and contributed seven assists for Napoli this season and is currently the captain of the Naples club.

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM