Koulibaly to join veteran defender as Man Utd plan huge double raid

Date published: Thursday 26th March 2020 9:03

Manchester United want to sign Inter Milan’s Diego Godin as part of a stunning double raid to drastically improve their defence, according to reports.

Red Devils boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer took a significant step in reinforcing his side at the back last summer, when Harry Maguire moved to Old Trafford from Leicester.

That deal saw the England international become the world’s most expensive defender and he has been a top performer under Solskjaer this term.

However, according to Calciomercato, Solskjaer is keen to go further and wants Godin to be joined by Napoli’s Kalidou Koulibaly this summer.

Godin, who captains Urugauy and has 135 appearances for his country, moved to Inter on a free transfer last summer but he has only made 16 Serie A appearances this term.

It is said that boss the 34-year-old has struggled to adapt to life under boss Antonio Conte, who has often preferred to play Alessandro Bastoni at the back.

As such, Godin would be open to moving elsewhere and his wages are likely to be the only stumbling block in a deal going through.

 

 

United then reportedly want to sign Koulibaly, who is expected to command a hefty fee and is said to be a long-term target of Old Trafford chiefs.

The double raid will be funded, it is claimed, by the permanent sale of Chris Smalling to Roma following the Englishman’s loan spell in the Serie A.

Smalling has previously revealed that he is willing to stay on at Roma having reinvigorated his career in the Italian top flight.

United’s other options at the back include Eric Bailly, Victor Lindelof, Luke Shaw and Phil Jones.

In other news, the Red Devils have been backed to get the best out of Jack Grealish with a summer move for the Aston Villa captain.

Read more…

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM