Kyle Walker believes he could be nearing the “end” of his England career following his absence in the latest squad announced on Thursday, according to a source close to the Manchester City full-back.
Three Lions boss Gareth Southgate chose Liverpool right-back Trent Alexander-Arnold and Atletico Madrid’s Kieran Trippier ahead of Walker in his latest 25-man squad – the second time in succession the City man has been overlooked.
Speaking to the Daily Star, the source said that despite Walker continuing to have a strong presence in in City’s games, the 29-year-old is worried that his latest snub could be a sign of things to come.
“He fears this could be the end of him when it comes to England,” the source said.
“He’s only 29, at his peak. He thinks he should be in the squad, but it appears Gareth Southgate is not having him. It’s ridiculous and doesn’t look good moving forward.”
Following Southgate’s decision not to choose Walker in his last squad, Southgate insisted that it wasn’t down to the full-back’s form.
“I said last month that we wanted to look at a couple of the other full backs – a different profile. I was really happy with what Kieran and Trent did in the matches,” the manager said.
“They’re both in good form for their clubs. Kyle is also in good form for his club. Kyle is a slightly more defensive full-back.
“He has good qualities with the ball, but the other two boys we felt did well last month and we didn’t feel the decision to change would be the right one.”
Liverpool’s Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Manchester United’s Jesse Lingard were also absent having featured in the last squad, and Southgate gave his reasons for excluding the midfield duo.