Jesus double helps Man City beat Wolves as incredible run continues

Date published: Tuesday 2nd March 2021 10:05 - Isaac Johnson

Manchester City showed the sign of champions on Tuesday night as a 4-1 victory over Wolves saw them to their 21st consecutive win.

A Leander Dendoncker own goal handed the hosts an early lead before Conor Coady grabbed a rare goal for the visitors to square the match.

Riyad Mahrez notched a late strike wedged in between a Gabriel Jesus brace to seal the three points.

The league leaders were on top from the off and it was only a matter of time before the opening goal arrived.

It came in the shape of Dendoncker who put through his own net in a desperate attempt to stop Raheem Sterling latching onto a dangerous Mahrez cross.

Wolves continued to be penned in, with Kevin de Bruyne constantly probing their defence in search of another opening.

The visitors managed to weather the waves of corners and crosses to keep the deficit to one goal.

There was another scare before half-time, though, when Aymeric Laporte put the ball in the net from a cross on 44 minutes.

However, the defender was adjudged to narrowly be in an offside position when Jesus flicked the ball on to the centre-half.

VAR Aymeric Laporte TEAMtalk

Bernardo Silva’s bullet header moments later had to be stopped by Wolves goalkeeper Rui Patricio, who kept his side in the game during the first period.

Patricio was called into action shortly after the interval again when de Bruyne’s fierce drive forced the Portugal international to turn the ball away.

Mahrez also stung the palms of the 33-year-old on 54 minutes and his custodial efforts were soon rewarded.

Against the run of play, Wolves levelled the match via a free-kick on the hour. Captain Conor Coady beat the offside trap and latched onto Joao Moutinho’s ball to notch his first goal since April 2018.

It was the first time in the game the away side had touched the ball in City‘s box.

Adama Traore had two good opportunities to pull Wolves ahead, firing narrowly wide before blazing over on 69 minutes. Wolves had found a new lease of life.

However, they were reminded of the quality they faced five minutes later. A fizzing Mahrez cross found Sterling who flicked the ball wide by a matter on inches to re-warn their opponents.

Then, not long after, Sterling had Wolves worried again when his 22-yard shot curled just wide of the mark.

Subscribe for free to TEAMtalk’s daily newsletter…

A late surge
Gabriel Jesus TEAMtalk

The four-time champions showed their title class once again on 80 minutes. Kyle Walker’s cross had been deflected away by Coady only for the ball to fall to Jesus who smashed the ball home, sending the City bench into raptures.

Both sides had appetising opportunities in the remaining minutes and it was City who got found the net again.

Mahrez got the goal he deserved bang on 90 minutes when Rodri stole the ball from Owen Otasowie who played it to substitute Ilkay Gundogan.

The German international then teed up Mahrez who curled it past Patricio and into the net.

Gundogan was in the centre of the action once again for the hosts. His shot late in stoppage time was parried to Jesus who earned himself a second of the night after a VAR check.

City now open up a 15-point gap at the summit of the table and get that 21st consecutive victory.

In the ‘top five’ European leagues, only Bayern Munich’s 23-match run last year and Real Madrid’s 22 successive victories in 2014 eclipses their current winning feat.

Wolves, meanwhile, sit 12th on 34 points.


Related Articles