Late Jesus goal ruled out as Porto hold Man City in CL stalemate

Date published: Tuesday 1st December 2020 10:05 - Robert McCarthy

Raheem Sterling TEAMtalk

Manchester City saw a late Gabriel Jesus goal chalked off after being frustrated in a 0-0 draw at Porto in the Champions League.

The City substitute thought he had tapped in the winner with 10 minutes to go but the effort was ruled out for offside.

Pep Guardiola made seven changes to his side for the game at the Estadio do Dragao.

With a place in the last 16 already guaranteed, Kevin De Bruyne, Gabriel Jesus, Riyad Mahrez, Kyle Walker, John Stones, Benjamin Mendy and Ilkay Gundogan all dropped to the bench following the weekend thrashing of Burnley.

Raheem Sterling came back into the side along with Phil Foden, captain Fernandinho and Bernardo Silva in midfield. Joao Cancelo, Eric Garcia and Oleksandr Zinchenko were the defensive changes, while Ferran Torres looked likely to switch to the centre forward’s role.

Sterling went close to giving City the lead in the 37th minute, after a cagey opening, when he cut inside from the left and struck a ferocious shot but Zaidu Sanusi cleared off the line.

City enjoyed more than 70 per cent possession in that opening period but they struggled to create clear-cut chances and the game was still goalless at the break.

City dominance goes unrewarded

City should have broken the deadlock on the hour mark when a ball over the top sent Sterling away and in on goal, but his shot was well saved by Agustin Marchesin in the home goal.

The Premier League side went close again with 19 minutes to go when Sterling’s cross was met on the stretch by Ruben Dias, but the big defender ended up clearing the ball rather than turning it on.

Moments after Bernando Silva saw a fine effort saved, City thought they had finally broken the deadline through Jesus.

Agustin Marchesin pushed a Jesus header onto the bar but the ball rebounded back off him into the striker’s path to tap home. However, Silva was ruled offside in the build-up.

City’s dominance was almost rewarded in stoppage time when Eric Garcia headed inches wide, but it was job done as Pep’s men topped the group.


Related Articles