Leeds appear to have dropped back in the race to sign Jonathan David after a strong revelation from the chairman of fellow suitors Lille.
The Canada international scored an impressive 23 goals in all competitions for Gent this season.
He has previously been linked with Manchester United and Arsenal, who held initial talks with his agent Nick Mavromaras.
HLN, as cited by sportslens, claims that French outfit Lille have already had a £23million bid plus bonuses rejected for David.
The report adds that Belgian outfit are holding out for nearer to €30m (£27m) for the 20-year-old.
As such, the Jupiler Pro League side’s chairman, Ivan de Witte, told De Zondag that Leeds were among the sides willing to meet the €30m asking price for the attacker.
As things stand, however, Lille are the only side to table a firm bid for the New York born frontman.
Lille’s owner Gerard Lopez spoke with L’Equipe on Monday and is adamant the 20-year-old has his heart set on joining his club.
Asked about their interest in David, he told the paper, via Sport Witness: “The player absolutely wants to play for LOSC. He doesn’t want to go to another club.
“Our team is made for players of his character. Everything will depend on those in charge [at KAA Gent]. We may review our offer in the coming days.”
That would appear to rule Leeds out the running, but Gent chairman Ivan de Witte is adamant the Premier League new boys have submitted a higher bid.
De Witte is quoted as saying: “I have only expressed my annoyance that contacts have been made with Lille behind our back, that Jonathan has clearly packed already. Against all rules. An orchestrated action from his agent and the club.
“There were no contacts last week, but that they have made a transfer impossible because of that is a bridge too far.
“There are already many dead in the grave of ‘principles’.
“In addition, I know Jonathan myself as an exceptionally fair and sensible boy with a super mentality and attitude.
“A few weeks ago it still sounded loud that he only wants to go to the Bundesliga and now he necessarily wants to go to France… isn’t that really bizarre?
“As if Lille would be such a great step forward for Jonathan. Is one then thinking of the player’s career? The contacts were stopped this week, but other clubs are still interested. With much better proposals even. Including Leeds.”
Cavani heading for Benfica
The Uruguayan saw himself mentioned as a Leeds target last week after a striking admission by Andrea Radrizzani.
But the transfer now looks a no-go according to website Todo Fichajes.
They claim Cavani has now accepted an offer to join Benfica this summer. They claim the Portuguese side has agreed a package with the 33-year-old striker worth around £200,000 a week.
Benfica, who are currently second and could also offer Champions League football, have offered him a two-year deal. As per Fijaches, the transfer could be made official as soon as Wednesday.
Cavani’s half-brother and agent Walter Guglielmone is said to have negotiated the terms with the Lisbon side. Read more here.