Leipzig director denies Chelsea have already reached Werner agreement

Date published: Saturday 6th June 2020 3:50

Timo Werner

The managing director of RB Leipzig has denied that Chelsea have already reached an agreement to sign Timo Werner.

Multiple reports last week claimed that Chelsea were closing in on the signing of Werner, after months of the striker being linked to Liverpool – but while the Blues may be close, nothing is official yet.

The Germany international can be signed if his £54m release clause is activated, meaning his future is in his hands – something which Leipzig managing director Oliver Mintzlaff accepts, even if he denies that Chelsea have contacted the club.

“We haven’t had an exchange yet,” he told Sky Sports Deutschland (via Goal). “Accordingly, we have nothing to report.

“Timo Werner is a player for RB Leipzig. He signalled a few weeks ago that he was busy with a transfer. Until now nothing is done.

“We are concentrating on the final sprint in the league. We want to qualify for the Champions League. That is the only thing we are currently discussing with Timo.

“It was important for us that we extend the contract with him. We did that last summer because of course it is important for our young club that no player moves on a free transfer.

“Of course, there was this exit clause that we put in the contract to give him the opportunity to take the next step.

“Now Timo is sitting in the driver’s seat, not us anymore. So far, he has not drawn upon the clause, nor has any club sent us a transfer contract.”

 

 

Mintzlaff is confident, however, that even if Werner does agree to leave Leipzig this summer, he will be able to complete the season with them, even though the Champions League could run into August.

“If Timo should leave the club, we’re sure that the buying club will allow us to keep him until the end of the Bundesliga season, whenever that is,” he added.

“We can only discuss the Champions League when we know when it is going to take place. It won’t be decided until mid-June.”

Read more: Liverpool have been told that their decision not to sign Timo Werner this summer will prove a major mistake that they quickly come to regret.

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM