Sane opens up on gruelling recovery process after Man City injury layoff

Date published: Wednesday 18th March 2020 4:34

Manchester City winger Leroy Sane has admitted that the knee injury which has kept him out since August has been the “hardest” layoff of his career to date.

The 24-year-old has been out of action since suffering knee ligament damage against Liverpool in the Community Shield last August.

However, he was nearing a comeback when the Premier League season was suspended until April 4. He returned to training towards the end of January and had seen some action for the club’s under-23s side.

The talented youngster’s return from injury has come at a time when Man City had been drafted in as the bookies favourites to win the Champions League this season, and with a William Hill promo code on offer, their odds of 3/1 could be worth a look.

“It was the hardest and longest injury that I’ve ever had in my career,” the Germany international told City’s official website.

“It is difficult, especially the first day after the surgery because you can’t move at all and that’s not something any of us athletes are used to.

“You have to push yourself every day because you know it’s a long rehab, but it is a good opportunity to work more on other weaknesses and that’s why I took it as a chance to recover well and come back strong.”

Sane, whose contract at the Etihad Stadium expires next year and who has repeatedly been linked with Bayern Munich, has thanked his team-mates for their support.

Ilkay Gundogan and Benjamin Mendy, who have also experienced long absences due to knee problems in their City careers, were particularly helpful.

 

 

Sane said: “The whole team supported me, of course, but I was especially talking to Gundogan and Mendy a little bit more about the injury, what they did, what could happen and their experience with everything.

“It helped me a lot to know how certain stuff feels and what can happen. It helped me and I’m very pleased that they pushed me along with that.”

In other news, City have reportedly told Paris Saint-Germain that they must pay £80million if they want to bring Riyad Mahrez to the French capital.

Mahrez joined City for £61million in 2018 and has scored nine goals and registered 14 assists in 37 appearances for the Manchester outfit this season.

Read more…

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM