Leroy Sane twist sees Man Utd make approach for €70m striker

Date published: Wednesday 15th May 2019 12:26

Manchester United have made an approach to Lille for their striker Nicolas Pepe, claims a report.

Last month Pepe’s agent Samir Khiat name-checked Bayern Munich leading to suggestions that the Bundesliga giants were at the head of the queue for the 21-goal striker.

Khiat told RTL: “Today, there are no favourites, be it Bayern Munich or another club. Nicolas will not go just anywhere. We have not decided on which league.”

Now though Bayern have apparently switched their focus to Manchester City’s Leroy Sane, with The Daily Record suggesting this has prompted United to take advantage and make a move for Pepe.

The Scottish tabloid claims a senior United official approached Lille last week to talk about the 23-year-old’s availability.

Lille president Gerard Lopez recently told Telefoot he was resigned to losing Pepe: “Four or five players will be leaving this summer.

“All clubs are forced to balance their accounts except perhaps one. I would say yes, it is sure he [Pepe] will leave.”

Pepe has been heavily linked with Arsenal, as well as PSG, Chelsea, United and Liverpool after a stellar campaign in Ligue 1.

The French-Ivorian has hit the radar of numerous big club’s in Europe this year after hitting 21 goals and 12 assists this season.

Asked about his future earlier this week, Pepe said: “We don’t talk about it, the season is not over yet. ‘Once it is finished we will be able to talk about it, but now no.”

United though are confident of luring Pepe to Old Trafford despite not qualifying for the Champions League, and are believed to have been closely tracking €70m-rated Pepe since the start of the season.

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM