Liverani refuses to resign

Date published: Sunday 3rd May 2015 5:25

A section of Orient’s travelling 1,131 supporters were calling “Liverani out” as their side surrendered a two-goal lead to 10-man Swindon Town, who fought back to draw 2-2.

“I’m as disappointed as the supporters that we’ve been relegated, but I’ve no intention of resigning now,” said the Italian, who has celebrated only eight wins and suffered 13 defeats in 27 matches since taking over at Brisbane Road before Christmas.

“I think people who resign are one’s who don’t think they’ve done their job with passion, enthusiasm and professionalism.

“We have suffered a tremendous amount of injuries, particularly in the central part of the season.

“When I came to Orient in December, the situation was difficult already.

“I was convinced at a certain point we would be able to stay up; unfortunately, it did not turn out that way.

“It’s a bit early now to talk about next season. Next week, I’ll probably meet up with the chairman and plan for the future. I’ll see whether my plans are the same as his.”

Orient had to win at the County Ground and hope Colchester, Crawley and Notts County all lost to complete an unlikely escape from relegation.

Their hopes of surviving the drop were alive for a large chunk of the game, particularly when goals either side of half-time by Dean Cox and Chris Dagnall gave them a 2-0 cushion against a Swindon side reduced to 10 men when goalkeeper Tyrrell Belford was sent off in the 20th minute.

But, just as Anton Rodgers spectacularly volleyed Swindon back into the match on the hour, scores elsewhere began to go against Orient.

Swindon’s penalty equaliser by Andy Williams four minutes from the end of normal time sealed Orient’s fate.

Leyton Orient were nearly promoted to the Championship last season when they missed out on automatic promotion and then lost the play-off final to Rotherham in a penalty shoot-out.

But they are now back in League Two for the first time since 2006.

The match took a bizarre twist approaching the mid-point of the first half when Belford was sent off for upending Dagnall on a one-on-one situation in the box – to be replaced by his elder brother Cameron, who flung himself to his left to save the resulting spot kick by Lloyd James.

“It was almost a fairy tale moment,” chuckled Swindon Town boss Mark Cooper, whose off-beat side – without a win in five games – visit Sheffield United in the first leg of the play-off semi-finals on Thursday evening.

“It was a good second half performance. The boys put in a real good effort and it created a really good atmosphere in the end. We could have easily won it at the end.”

Related Articles