Liverpool keen to secure deals for £110m trio, claims transfer insider

Date published: Wednesday 22nd April 2020 8:00

Liverpool plan to boost their squad this summer by targeting deals for three players only, according to a transfer expert.

The Reds have been linked with a plethora of big-name players this summer, but with the likes of Jadon Sancho, Ousmane Dembele and Leon Bailey all mentioned as reported targets, it seems Jurgen Klopp’s priorities lie elsewhere.

One obvious name they are keen to recruit is RB Leipzig striker Timo Werner, with Klopp a huge fan of the 24-year-old and keen to add to him to his already prolific attacking rotation at Anfield.

The Reds are doing battle with the likes of Chelsea, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and Inter Milan to land a player who has a €60million (£52m) release clause.

Jamie Carragher last week raised concerns concerns why he feared a deal for Werner would be off for Liverpool, highlighting the financial squeeze being placed on the game due to its current inactivity.

However, those hopes did take something of an upturn again when the Reds were given a 65% chance of securing Werner’s transfer this summer.

And those hopes of signing Werner have been given further lift-off after Bleacher Report transfer expert, Dean Jones, claimed Werner had already agreed to join the Reds.

Speaking in a Q&A on Bleacher Report, Jones confirmed that Liverpool “WILL” sign Werner, while also revealing that Todd Cantwell of Norwich and prized Leeds star Kalvin Phillips were also on their list of targets.

When asked how close Liverpool are to signing Werner, Jones said: “Everything I’m hearing is that this WILL happen. The only confusion comes with this pause in activity and how hard it is to negotiate and have discussions right now because of the travel ban.

“I’m told Werner is desparate to play in the Premier league. I know he’s linked with a lot of English clubs, but if he’s going to come he has to go to a team that’s really challenging.

 

 

“Plus there’s the lure of Klopp, so that make Liverpool his top destination. If he leaves Lepzig, which is looking likely, it’s his only real landing spot.”

Jones added: “Outside of Werner, they want a midfielder, but it would be more of a squad player like Cantwell from Norwich or Kalvin Phillips of Leeds. I think that gives you an idea of how Liverpool wants to strengthen and add depth rather than another elite signing.”

Cantwell, the 22-year-old Canaries midfielder, has been scouted intensely by Liverpool this term and is rated in the £30m bracket by Norwich.

Interest in Leeds star Phillips, meanwhile, is something of a new link for the Reds.

The 24-year-old is regarded by ourselves here at TEAMtalk as the best player outside the Premier League and has been mentioned as a target for the likes of Tottenham, Man Utd and Wolves among others.

The midfielder – tipped for England recognition before the season was brought to a halt – is rated at around the £25m – £30m mark by the Championship promotion hopefuls.

Discussing his future as recently as last month, the Leeds star said: “I want to spend my career at Leeds and see the club doing well in the Premier League.

“I’m just enjoying every minute right now.”

Leeds are a point clear of second-placed West Brom and seven points ahead of Fulham in third with nine matches to be played and Phillips is keen to avoid the heartache of last season’s play-off misery to Derby.

Phillips said: “We’ve massively improved in this campaign, we’re a lot more experienced.

“We went through a bad patch at the wrong time last season and then lost in the play-offs. It was tough but it has helped us.”

In other Liverpool news, attacking target Samuel Chukwueze appears have distanced himself from claims he could move to Anfield by confessing his love for a Premier League rival.

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM