Schalke have confirmed that Max Meyer has turned down a second contract offer with the Bundesliga club.
The 22-year-old Germany international’s deal expires in the summer and he now looks all set to move away from Gelsenkirchen.
Meyer, who has played as a holding midfielder this season for Domenico Tedesco, turned down a new contract last year and he has now turned his back on an improved offer.
Bild claim Schalke have offered him a £5million-a-year deal to make him the club’s highest earner.
However, sporting executive Christian Heidel says the offer has been refused.
“Max Meyer’s agents, on Jan. 12, received an offer limited until Feb. 15, and on Feb. 15 informed us via email that Max has turned down the offer because of the time limit,” Heidel told Der Westen.
“We duly noted it and for now are not bound by it. This does not mean that he will not prolong his contract.
“Schalke must press forward with their planning for the new season.”
And speaking to Sport Bild, he added: “If Max Meyer approaches us and says he wants to continue playing for Schalke, that’s wonderful. But we can’t and won’t wait for much longer.”
Sport Bild have again linked him with both Arsenal and Barcelona, but Liverpool are thought to have a long-standing interest in the player, who can also play as an attacking midfielder.
More from Planet Sport: Does English cricket have a drinking problem? (Cricket365)