Liverpool have reportedly up their interest in outstanding Brighton midfielder Yves Bissouma by asking questions about the player’s personality and character.
The Athletic claims that the Seagulls will only do business for the all-action midfielder if they receive an offer they cannot refuse. It’s rumoured that any club trying to sign the 24-year-old will have to pay upwards of £40million, with Brighton owner Tony Bloom under no pressure to sell.
The Reds are expected to be in the market for a new central midfielder, with Georginio Wijnaldum tipped to move on.
The Dutchman continues to be linked with Barcelona, although Inter Milan are also still in the running.
Bissouma has been labeled as the perfect replacement for one of Jurgen Klopp’s midfield generals. The former Lille star is renowned for his lung-busting displays and is well-suited to Klopp’s playing style.
The report adds that Klopp views Bissouma as the perfect partner for Fabinho in Liverpool’s engine room. What that means for skipper Jordan Henderson remains to be seen, although the England star could be viewed as a better centre-back option going forward.
Liverpool have conceded 39 times in the Premier League this season in Virgil van Dijk’s absence. To that end, Klopp wants to strengthen the spine of his team – and Bissouma fits the bill.
April 28 Transfer Chatter: Coutinho Merseyside return, Klopp to raid former club and Spurs' failed approach
Philippe Coutinho could return to Merseyside in different colours, Jurgen Klopp may look to Borussia Dortmund if star player leaves and Levy continues the Tottenham managerial pursuit.
Having already watched the Brighton star in action this season, the Reds are now trying to get a handle on the player’s characteristics – as reported on Anfield Central.
Bissouma has shone this season despite his side being embroiled in a relegation battle. That appears to point towards a strong temperament, while he often steps up when his team needs him most.
That’s the sort of personality that Klopp wants on Merseyside, as he looks to freshen up his side this summer.
Celtic star rejects Liverpool approach
Meanwhile, Celtic striker Odsonne Edouard is reported to have rejected a summer approach from Liverpool despite a ‘personal call’ from Jurgen Klopp – leaving three other clubs with hopes of securing his signing.
Having scored 83 goals in 165 games for the Hoops, it looks as though Edouard could be set to depart the club after their difficult campaign. The Parkhead club surrendered their grip on the Scottish Premiership and could now lose one of their star players too. A move to England continues to be mooted for the 23-year-old, where the are reportedly a number of suitors.
Liverpool were among those reported to be keen. Indeed, last month it was claimed they were exploring the possibility of a swap deal. That would have seen the Bhoys signing unwanted Reds forward Divock Origi as part of the deal.
However, Edouard is reported to have snubbed the opportunity – despite a personal phone call from Reds boss Klopp.
Anfield Central reports that the Frenchman told Klopp he was not sure where he would fit into their attack. Klopp currently has four options at his disposal in Sadio Mane, Mohamed Salah, Roberto Firmino and Diogo Jota.
Edouard feared for game time
And despite looking like a would-be replacement for the off-form Firmino, it seems Edouard did not rate his prospects.
As such, it’s reported that the former PSG youngster politely declined Klopp’s advances.
However, it would not come as a surprise to see Edouard find his way into the Premier League.
Leicester, managed by Edouard’s former boss Brendan Rodgers, have been strongly linked. Arsenal, who may be in need of a forward for next term, are also in the mix. Alexandre Lacazette’s future remains uncertain, while Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has struggled for form in 2020/21.
However, it is West Ham are who said to be leading the race for the Frenchman.