Liverpool, Arsenal and Tottenham target Max Meyer looks all set to sever his ties with Schalke after cancelling a contract meeting with the Bundesliga club.
Meyer’s agent was due to meet with the Bundesliga club this week to discuss his future, with his contract expiring in June. However the meeting was cancelled at the last minute by Meyer’s representative with Schalke president Clemens Tonnies seemingly resigned to losing the 22-year-old.
Speaking to Bild, Tonnies said: “I had an appointment with Max and his advisor, which was cancelled by his agent on short notice.
“If someone doesn’t want to talk to me, I cannot change that.”
The Daily Mirror claims Liverpool have been “buoyed” by the news and are “keeping a close eye on the German midfielder’s situation”, but there is also interest from Spurs, Arsenal and Atletico Madrid.
Meyer has already turned down two offers from Schalke – the latter believed to be around £5million a year to make him the club’s highest earner.
Meyer, who has played as a holding midfielder this season for Domenico Tedesco, turned down a new contract last year and he turned his back on an improved offer last month.
Sporting executive Christian Heidel confirmed the offer had been refused last month.
“Max Meyer’s agents, on Jan. 12, received an offer limited until Feb. 15, and on Feb. 15 informed us via email that Max has turned down the offer because of the time limit,” Heidel told Der Westen.