Liverpool ‘called every day’ to secure signing of South American winger

Date published: Saturday 2nd May 2020 11:57

Liverpool were so keen to sign Jean Deza in 2014 that they made a daily approach to bring him to Anfield, claims a former teammate of the Peru winger.

The Reds, then under the leadership of Brendan Rodgers, are reported to have set their sights on a deal for Deza, who at the time was starring for Montpellier in France’s Ligue 1 and had just faced England in a friendly at Wembley.

During his time at Montpellier, it is claimed Liverpool made daily contact with the Ligue 1 side to try and strike a deal to bring the winger to Anfield.

That’s according to his former teammate Johnnier Montano who, in an interview with El Comercio, as relayed by Sport Witness, says the Reds were desperate to bring right-winger Deza to Anfield.

“An offer arrived from a big English club, but the president [of Montpellier] didn’t want to sell him,” Montano revealed, before adding: “Liverpool called every day and the guy said ‘no, he still has a lot to give in this team and then I will sell him’.”

While his signing will hardly have grabbed much attention from Liverpool fans, it does illustrate the level the club now operates in when it comes to attracting new signings and the progress they have made on and off the field since Rodgers was replaced at the helm by Jurgen Klopp.

During his time with Montpellier, Deza made 24 appearances for the club before eventually joining Levski Sofia on a free transfer, illustrating, from a Liverpool perspective, that missing out on him was perhaps no bad thing.

Since then, Deza – who is still only 26 – has since returned to his homeland when he was had spells with Sport Rosario, Sport Huancayo, Club UTC and now Alianza Lima.

Liverpool, meanwhile, will not be signing Timo Werner this summer after two sources claimed the Reds had walked away from the £52million deal.

 

Liverpool’s board have decided not to spend heavily this summer and will instead undergo a period of reduced transfer activity amid the global financial crisis that has affected the game.

As such, it’s reported the Reds plan a more disciplined approach to the transfer window and will only sign players to fill necessary gaps in their squad.

And that stance at Liverpool has been backed up by Sky Sports reporter Vinny O’Connor, when he claimed Liverpool will not be making any signings.

He said: “Do I expect Liverpool to spend this summer?

“At the moment, I’m not expecting much transfer activity. Certainly in terms of incomings once again.

“I was actually told that Liverpool won’t be signing anyone in the next window.

“If you would have asked me in January, I would have been pretty confident of one or two signings coming in to immediately bolster that first team squad.

“Since then things have obviously changed.

“There’s a different financial climate due to the impact of the coronavirus and that has naturally impacted on potential dealings in the transfer market as well.”

In other Liverpool news, the Reds are reported to have held under-the-radar talks with a Serie A side to bring in a defensive colossus as Virgil van Dijk’s new partner in the heart of defence.

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM