Southampton CEO shatters Liverpool’s hopes of summer cash windfall

Date published: Friday 7th May 2021 11:53 - Matthew Briggs

Liverpool look all set to miss out on cash windfall this summer after Southampton CEO Martin Semmens told fans he expects Danny Ings to stay with the club.

Ings left Anfield and joined the Saints in a £20m deal in July 2019. Liverpool were guaranteed to bank £18m, with a further £2m potentially in add-ons related to appearances. But with Ings all set to enter the final 12 months of his contract on the south coast there has been talk about him moving on. In fact Tottenham and West Ham have been linked with his services recently.

While Ings was the latest name to emerge recently on Man City’s radar for a summer swoop, according to Sky Sports.

Southampton though have offered fresh terms to Ings stay, but so far the 28-year-old’s future remain.

However, Semmens thinks Saints will get a deal done with Ings, who is currently out with a hamstring problem.

He told Hampshire Live: “I think Danny probably will [sign the contract].

“He has been really open and clear with his communication with the club about what he wants to do.

“He is working hard with us. He is committed to us. He is not a robot, he doesn’t do what we tell him to do. Danny will make his own choice.

“But if you ask me now, I think Danny will be with us to the end of his career. But remember, they have their own desires.

“Danny has never done anything but be incredibly hard-working and be committed to this club.”

That news will come as a financial blow to Fenway Sports Group, who negotiated a 20% sell-on for Ings as part of the 2019 sale.

Any transfer fee for Ings would take into his consideration his 12 goals for club and country in just 31 appearances so far this season. However, that would be tempered by his contract which is running down.

Last summer Southampton pundit Steve Grant suggested that the Saints should not even entertain bids less the £40m mark. A sale at that price this summer would leave Liverpool with a healthy sum.


Subscribe for free to TEAMtalk’s daily newsletter…


Leicester to land Edouard

Meanwhile, TEAMtalk understands that Leicester City are confident they will complete the signing of Celtic striker Odsonne Edouard this summer.

Liverpool were also among those reported to be keen. Indeed, recently it was claimed they were exploring the possibility of a swap deal. That would have seen the Bhoys signing unwanted Reds forward Divock Origi as part of the deal.

However, Edouard is reported to have snubbed the opportunity – despite a personal phone call from Reds boss Jurgen Klopp.

Anfield Central reported that Edouard told Klopp he was not sure where he would fit into their attack. 

Now, sources with knowledge of the situation have told us that Edouard is almost certainly heading to the King Power and will provide some high-quality attacking options for Rodgers.

READ MORE: Liverpool star’s agent brings big new club to table over summer exit talks

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM