Liverpool, Man Utd in Koulibaly balancing act as details of offers emerge

Date published: Monday 18th May 2020 1:05

Liverpool and Manchester United have offered less than Newcastle in the race to sign Napoli centre-back Kalidou Koulibaly, according to Italian journalist Paolo Esposito.

While United solved their need for a top defensive signing last summer with the arrival of Harry Maguire from Leicester, further reports have emerged linking the Red Devils with a move for Senegal international Koulibaly.

The situation at Anfield is similar and reports last week suggested that the Reds were prepared to offer Koulibaly a “really good” salary and the promise of regular Champions League football.

Meanwhile, further north, Newcastle are in the process of being taken over by a wealthy Saudi-backed consortium and according to Esposito, all three clubs have now tabled bids and salary offers for the centre-back.

Speaking to Area Napoli (via the Daily Express), the Magpies are in “pole position” having submitted a higher offer, but there is said to be hope that United and Liverpool’s promise of European football will sway Koulibaly.

“I believe he will go to the Premier League where there is Newcastle in pole position,” Esposito said.

“Then there are Manchester United and Liverpool, who have much more charm than Newcastle, but offer less, both in salary and in transfer fees.”

 

Koulibaly has become one of European football’s most sought-after centre-backs in recent seasons, with Real Madrid also linked with the 28-year-old in the past.

In other news, Liverpool midfielder Pedro Chirivella will reportedly reject the offer of a new five-year deal in a bid to earn regular first-team football elsewhere.

Chirivella is said to have impressed Reds boss Jurgen Klopp with a resurgence in form this season and wants the Spaniard to stay at Anfield.

Read more…

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM