Keep up to date with all the latest news, transfer gossip, reaction and pundit views on Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool side with our live blog…
3.45pm: MURPHY SAYS HE GOT IT WRONG
Danny Murphy has apologised for his “throw-away” comments made about Manchester City’s plans to give the Reds a guard of honour.
Pep Guardiola confirmed that his side will lead out the Reds before clapping them onto the pitch on Thursday at The Etihad.
However, speaking to talkSPORT Murphy said the Liverpool players could be feeling “awkward” and “uncomfortable” walking past City players clapping them onto the pitch.
Former Liverpool midfielder Murphy went on to say: “I think it’s a load of nonsense! I don’t know where it started and why it started, I would feel uncomfortable doing it.”
However, he has now had second thoughts and offered a contrite apology.
2.25pm: HUGE AFCON BOOST
News is coming in regarding the Africa Cup of Nations, now, and it has been suspended until January 2022.
The tournament has been thrown all about the football calendar in recent times. It was held in the summer for the first time last year, which authorities said would be a permanent change.
Late last year, however, the tournament was moved back to the winter for 2021 – and now it has been scrapped for 2021 altogether due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The CAF (Confederation of African Football) has decided it would be a risk at this stage to continue preparations for the tournament next winter.
The decision means Liverpool will not lose Mohamed Salah (Egypt), Sadio Mane (Senegal) and Naby Keita (Guinea) for large parts next season.
1.45pm: ‘MAN CITY WILL CLOSE THE GAP’
1.05pm: DANNY MURPHY’S GUARD OF HONOUR RANT
In other news, Danny Murphy says he cannot see the reasoning behind Manchester City giving Liverpool a guard of honour at the Etihad Stadium on Thursday.
The two sides clash a week after City’s defeat to Chelsea crowned the Reds as Premier League champions.
As such, City will form a guard of honour for Jurgen Klopp’s side, something Murphy cannot understand.
11.21am: MATIP BLOW
Liverpool defender Joel Matip has been ruled out for the rest of the season with a foot injury.
The 28-year-old was hurt in the newly-crowned champions’ goalless draw at Everton on June 21, their first match after the Premier League resumption.
Matip was absent as the Reds thrashed Crystal Palace 4-0 last week and he is now set to miss their remaining seven games.
Matip told the club’s website, Liverpoolfc.com: “This season I will be not back on the pitch but, for next season, I hope I’m going to be – quite early – a direct help for the team.”
10.57am: MANE HUNGRY FOR MORE
Sadio Mane has made it clear Liverpool will not ease up in the Premier League as they aim to achieve “bigger and bigger things”.
Chelsea’s win over Manchester City last week meant that the title was heading to Liverpool for the first time since 1990.
Jurgen Klopp’s men have yet to play since claiming their first top-flight title for 30 years, but when they do resume against Manchester City on Thursday Mane says they have a number of records in their sight.
“I think this is another step of all of us in our career for what we want to achieve, because as football players you have to be always professional and always hungry in a good way to win everything,” Mane told the club’s website.
10.40am: FORMER LIVERPOOL DEFENDER IN HOSPITAL
Derby defender Andre Wisdom is recovering in hospital after being injured in “an unprovoked assault and robbery”.
Wisdom is reported to have been stabbed during the robbery, which occurred in Toxteth during a visit to his relatives.
The right-back was promoted to Liverpool’s first team in 2011, spending seven years with the Reds.
In that time, he made 22 senior appearances for the club amid several loan spells.
9.20am: VAN PERSIE TALKS UP LIVERPOOL TARGET SAKA
Elsewhere, former Arsenal striker Robin van Persie has talked up Gunners’ youngster Bukayo Saka’s ability.
Reports claim Saka, whose current deal runs out next summer, is a target for Liverpool in the upcoming transfer window.
However, Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta has insisted that the 18-year-old is close to agreeing a new deal.
Either way, Van Persie reckons Saka has a bright future ahead of him.
8.50am: TRIPPIER MAKES LIVERPOOL CLAIM
Former Tottenham full-back Kieran Trippier says Spurs would have beaten Liverpool in the Champions League final last season with Mousa Dembele in the side.
Tottenham sold Dembele to China last January and despite the midfielder missing most of his spell with Spurs through an ankle injury, the club’s form dropped with his absence.
Mauricio Pochettino’s side lost the Madrid showpiece 2-0 to Liverpool, but Trippier believes the final could have been completely different with Dembele in the side.
8.30am: KLOPP TALKS TRANSFERS
In an important first development, Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has been talking transfers ahead of the market re-opening later this year.
Many pundits have claimed the Reds need to strengthen while on top, after winning the Premier League title.
However, Liverpool have already shown reluctance to spend and were unwilling to pay Timo Werner’s release clause.
And Klopp has echoed such a sentiment with his latest comments.