Romano claims Liverpool offered Arsenal flop in shock development

Date published: Thursday 14th January 2021 11:50 - Robert McCarthy

Sokratis Papastathopoulos, Rob Holding Arsenal

Arsenal have reportedly offered Premier League rivals Liverpool the shock chance to sign one of their defenders.

Despite the fact that Jurgen Klopp claims the injury-hit Reds are unlikely to sign a centre-back, players continue to be linked with a January switch to Anfield.

Both Virgil van Dijk and Joe Gomez have been lost to long-term problems, while Joel Matip remains injury-prone.

Brighton star Ben White and Lille ace Sven Botman are two of a number of names linked with a move to Merseyside.

But in another twist, it has emerged that Arsenal may have offered out-of-favour defender Sokratis Papastathopoulos to the reigning Premier League champions.

Sokratis was left out of the Arsenal squads ahead of this season. Indeed, Mikel Arteta recently admitted that the player is set to leave.

He said when speaking about defenders: “We have Papa that probably is going to leave the club in this window. William [Saliba] has already gone on loan, so we don’t have that many right now.”

Sokratis’s next move remains unclear at this stage. However, transfer expert Fabrizio Romano claims he has been offered to Liverpool.

 

“He was offered to Liverpool too, you know that? Liverpool were looking for an opportunity and he was offered to Liverpool. But at the moment he’s not an option,” he told the Here We Go Podcast.

Romano was asked if the defender could be an option due to his history with Klopp at Dortmund. He added: “Yes, also he could be an opportunity.

“He was an opportunity because he was offered. But at the moment Liverpool have not decided whether they’re signing a centre-back or not.

“They’re still in the middle of the situation, so nothing has been decided.”


Subscribe for free to TEAMtalk’s daily newsletter…


Clattenburg hits back at Klopp

Former Premier League referee Mark Clattenburg says that Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has no right to question the number of penalties Manchester United have earned.

Jurgen Klopp TEAMtalk

Klopp pointed out earlier this month that United have had “more penalties in two years than I had in five-and-a-half years”.

The Red Devils have earned six league spot kicks this season compared to the five won by Liverpool.

However, they have received 42 in all competitions since Ole Gunnar Solskjaer took over in December 2018. That compares to Liverpool’s 19.

Klopp’s comments have sparked debate, especially since the two arch-rivals sit first and second in the table. Solskjaer offered a muted response while one pundit has called on the German to stop with the excuses for his side’s poor recent form.

However, ex-referee Clattenburg has now had his say on the debate. Writing in a column for the Daily Mail, the former official claimed that a Liverpool duo are just as bad at trying to win penalties. Read more…

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM