Sevilla could sell Liverpool-linked defender Diego Carlos for between €45million and €50million – up to €25million cheaper than his release clause – according to reports.
Liverpool have been credited with interest in the 27-year-old Brazilian for a number of months and reportedly had a bid turned down by Sevilla in January.
Reds boss Jurgen Klopp is said to be keen to bolster his options at the back, with Joe Gomez and Joel Matip prone to injury and Dejan Lovren mooted to leave Anfield after falling down the pecking order.
According to Spanish publication Sport, Klopp has identified Carlos as one of his top transfer priorities when the transfer window re-opens, with FIFA announcing on Tuesday that the market will be flexible to fit in with the end of the current season.
The newspaper adds that while Liverpool have not sent a “firm offer” to Sevilla, the LaLiga side could be prepared to sell Carlos for a lower fee than his release clause.
Carlos played 25 of his side’s 27 league games in the Spanish top flight – chipping in with two goals – before the season was brought to a halt last month.
When asked by Estadio Deportivo about the speculation surrounding his signature, Carlos said: ”
When asked if he has received an offer from Liverpool, Carlos said: “So far, my agent does not talk to me about those situations.
“I am not interested to know about other teams. I always tell him that, if he is going to tell me something, then it [must] be something firm.
“He should not come to me with stories, because I must have my head in Sevilla. I don’t want those things to cause me a distraction.”
In other news, former Liverpool midfielder Dietmar Hamann has warned his former side that Timo Werner will struggle to fit into the team if he is brought to Anfield.
RB Leipzig striker Werner has been strongly linked with a move to Klopp’s side in recent months and has made no secret of his admiration for his fellow German.