Liverpool sounded out ‘Lukaku-style’ striker before settling on Jota

Date published: Tuesday 27th October 2020 6:56 - Steve Pearson

Marcus.Thuram.Monchengladbach.TEAMtalk

Liverpool considered a drastic change of approach by weighing up a move for a striker in the vein of Romelu Lukaku before ultimately purchasing Diogo Jota, claims a report.

The Reds made bolstering their attacking firepower a top priority in the summer transfer window.

Prior to the window, Jurgen Klopp’s side were early odds-on favourites to land German marksman Timo Werner.

Liverpool ultimately declined to meet the RB Leipzig striker’s release clause, opening the door for Chelsea to swoop.

Wolves forward Diogo Jota eventually signed on the dotted line for The Reds in a deal worth an initial £41m.

However, according to a report by The Daily Star, Klopp’s side had previously ‘sounded out’ a move for a very different type of attacker.

The article cites Movistar commentator Alain Valnegri, who recently revealed Bundesliga ace Marcus Thuram could have been playing in red this season.

Thuram – the son of legendary French defender Lilian –  stands at six-foot-four and has been likened to Lukaku.

“For me, Marcus is destined for a top club,” Valnegri said to El Pais of the Borussia Monchengladbach striker. “He already sounded for Liverpool this summer.”

 

“He has skill, he shoots, he’s a huge power, he’s a dribbler, and he moves well in tight spaces.

“He’s always been a left-winger. But in Germany, he’s started to get behind the front, and coming up from the second line he is very dangerous.

“He has improved a lot in his finishing, although he still lacks the malice of the great forwards. And he must also make progress in the air.

“With that physical power, he could be dominant and allow him to act as an offensive terminal, Lukaku style.”

 

Ex-Liverpool ace Man City-bound?

Nathaniel Clyne, Daniel Sturridge

Meanwhile, Micah Richards believes that Manchester City should sign former Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge to ease their crisis up front.

City only brought Sergio Aguero back from injury last weekend when the attacker suffered another problem. Indeed, boss Pep Guardiola says the Argentine could be out for another month.

Meanwhile, Gabriel Jesus remains on the sidelines after picking up an injury while on duty with Brazil.

As such, Richards feels ex-City youth player Sturridge should return to his former side. The 31-year-old is without a club after receiving a four-month footballing ban in April.

“It would have been easy for Daniel to walk away from the game, but he’s still hungry,” Richards wrote in a BBC Sport column.

Read the full story here.

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM