Liverpool FC have confirmed they are in conversation with the relevant authorities as they aim to bring Naby Keita back safely from Guinea.
Keita returned to his home country to take part in their fixtures for the current international break recently. However, there has been an attempted military coup in Guinea. A group of soldiers detained president Alpha Conde and claims to have seized power.
Guinea’s national football team were due to play against Morocco on Monday in a World Cup qualifier. But due to the volatile situation in the country, the football authorities called it off. There were reports of heavy gunfire around the presidential palace in Guinea’s capital, Conkary, on Sunday.
“The current political and security situation in Guinea is quite volatile and is being closely monitored by FIFA and CAF,” said a joint statement by FIFA and CAF.
“To ensure the safety and security of all players and to protect all match officials, FIFA and CAF have decided to postpone the match.”
All land and air borders with Guinea are currently closed.
It is not currently known where the national team’s squad, including Keita, is. But they are safe – as a Liverpool spokesperson has confirmed in a statement to the PA news agency.
Keita ‘safe and well cared for’
“We are in constant contact with Naby and have had regular communication via his national team management,” the spokesman said.
“We are satisfied that he is safe and well cared for.
“Obviously the situation is fluid and we will maintain regular dialogue with the relevant authorities as we work to get Naby back to Liverpool in a timely and secure manner.”
Keita has started two matches in the Premier League for Liverpool so far this season. He has played for the club since 2018 and has made 41 caps for his country since 2012.